Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Gross Areas and Volumes

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
bialmeida
2573 Views, 4 Replies

Wall Gross Areas and Volumes

Hello everybody,

as far as i understood after trying a bit, revit calculates the net area and volume of walls automatically. Is there an easy way of getting the gross values as well, i must be missing something!

Cheers!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ToanDN
in reply to: bialmeida

@bialmeida wrote:

Hello everybody,

as far as i understood after trying a bit, revit calculates the net area and volume of walls automatically. Is there an easy way of getting the gross values as well, i must be missing something!

Cheers!

1. Create the fenestration in a later phase so that you can schedule the walls without them by change the phase of the schedule.

2. Link your model in a new file, copy monitor walls and choose not to include openings, create a wall schedule in that file to calculate gross areas and volumes.

Message 3 of 5

We as a Client & General Contractor want that the building elements (floor/wall/ceiling/roof) include both: net area and gross area. This is because at different stage of project we use different kind of information for various purposes. Cost estimation, procurement & production need them both because of various Work Breakdown Structures.

I´m not looking for a way to produce this in Revit environment only (tricks with schedules & phases) but we need to include this need as properties in IFC-files. This because we outsource our designs and there are multiple authoring tools AND our Project Management System doesn´t support native-formats but IFC & some peculiar form of XML.

Any ideas, calculated parameters and mapping with User Defined Property sets?

Compared to other rivaling softwares Revit does not seem to support this kind of need & approach which is more or less like a industry standard here in Finland.

Message 4 of 5

I found another discussion related to my issue and it seems that the calculated value don´t solve my problem.

https://sourceforge.net/p/ifcexporter/discussion/general/thread/300d8769/

Message 5 of 5

Coming back to this issue, it seems that the latest versions of Revit (from version 2022) are capable on creating net and gross values to some of the IFC-classes, but not all.

As an example ceilings (IfcCovering) and roofs (IfcRoof) seem to lack this information although this is described in IFC-Schema to be information needed. The schema describes many other properties as well and for some reason only some of the properties are selected to be the information that the users will need.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report