Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Void Extrusion

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
BruceEUW9W
1067 Views, 2 Replies

Void Extrusion

I am trying to create a void extrusion to cut into a wall.

I can create it in the position and depth that I want, then I lock it into position.

When I tick ok to finish the model, the void extrusion moves to a different position.

How can I stop this void from moving?

The void extrusion has been constrained to a reference plane that is pinned into position. This reference plane does not move but the void extrusion does.

Any help wpould be appreciated, thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ToanDN
in reply to: BruceEUW9W

Hard to guess without seeing the file but if you want the in place void to cut the wall and set a face of the wall as the work plane when you create the void extrusion.  That way, the void is always associated with the wall location.

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
RDAOU
in reply to: BruceEUW9W

@BruceEUW9W 

In-place void can be unpredictable and locking them to reference plans, as useful as it can be in Family Editor, is as good as not locking it to any reference planes in Project environment. When the in-place void cuts an element it creates a joined geometry which is driven by the cut element (1 example is a wall vs the same wall with modified profile or detached vs attached) =>

1. do not lock it to reference planes
  2. if you need Lx W dims simply dimension sketch line to sketch line
  3. to constrain its depth lock it to the faces of its host

If you want a more consistent behavior, model that void in a Generic Model Face or Wall based family...Alternatively a window or a door family

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators