Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Version Upgrade and GUID Stability

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
smharch
245 Views, 3 Replies

Version Upgrade and GUID Stability

Hello all,

I recently upgraded a bunch of models from 16, 17, and 18 to 2019 rvt. Is the GUID  (not the element ID) stable through version upgrades? I would check the old files but I do not have access to anything before 2019. 

Thank you,
Steven

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
barthbradley
in reply to: smharch
Message 3 of 4
ToanDN

GUIDs in shared parameters?  Yes.

Message 4 of 4
RDAOU

@smharch 

Stable GUID is an unquestionable must, at least when working within the same BIM authoring platform...and it is (or should) not be affected by upgrading from one version to the other.  

Since 2020 (due to complaints from some clients) we have been requesting all involved stakeholders to submit a validation report that includes all elements of the Structure tree with all GUIDs, both when upgrading models and/or when transferring models from one BIM authoring platform to another (when it is a must and for the avoidance of doubt)....Till date we have not recorded any anomalies or elements losing their Global identifier. (Edit: But again, this is a user platform and one can only speak of one's own experience. Your question is best confirmed by Autodesk themselves - tagging @Lance.Coffey ... maybe you can assist in confirming this)

In the past there as been reported incidents of lost GUIDs upon cross platform element copying (ex: IFC to RVT) but that is something which can be mitigated/avoided and I guess it is not related to upgrading models 

Nonetheless, on the projects we work on the upgrade is neither encouraged nor recommend. We emphasize in both the CIR and the BES/P that models should be completed in the same version specified and were started in and archived to IFC with the IFC GUID stored in the elements.

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report