Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV grid created by divide surface has the wrong orientation

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
stefanome
717 Views, 4 Replies

UV grid created by divide surface has the wrong orientation

The UV grid created by the Divide Surface command sometimes has the wrong orientation. Well, where wrong means different from what I need, which is usually having horizontal and vertical lines. The snapshot below shows a tilted grid that I don't like.

The only workaround that I found was to create the grid lines on a vertical plane, use the Intersects option and disable the U and V grids. This workaround is acceptable with one surface, but if I need to create many grids on many surfaces, it becomes a nightmare.

Is there a way to control the UV grid orientation?

Did I do something wrong when creating the face that caused it to get the tilted UV grid?

Is there a better workaround than manually drawing the grid?

stefanomenci_0-1619015107086.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
stefanome
in reply to: stefanome

I just found out how to rotate the grid: select the divided surface and click on the "Configure Grid Layout" button that appears at the center of the grid (see snapshot).

This doesn't allow to use a reference line, but allows to set an angle for the whole grid. It also allows to set independent angles for U and V and get a skewed grid.

stefanomenci_0-1619015626999.png

Also the grid properties shows the angle:

stefanomenci_0-1619017464399.png

Message 3 of 5
BDMackey

UV divisions can seem to be odd. If the face is plumb, which looks like yours is they often get associated to the first sketch line that made the surface, and the positive side (normal) of the surface depends on the direction that sketch line was drawn, left to right vs right to left.

Message 4 of 5
stefanome
in reply to: BDMackey

Do you know what the "Set grid justification" does?

I tried dragging the thing, it shows as an action in the undo buffer, but can't see any effect.

I couldn't find any reference in the documentation.

stefanomenci_0-1619017233275.png

Message 5 of 5
BDMackey

Basically it is just an icon letting the user know they are adjusting the grid values and on which face, i.e. Grid Rotation, Justification etc. Which can all be done in the properties as well

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report