Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the inches symbol " in Keynotes

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
craig
561 Views, 8 Replies

Using the inches symbol " in Keynotes

I have been using the inches symbol (") in Keynote for many years. I just created a new Keynote entry in Revit 2022 that uses an inch symbol, but when that family is tagged instead of displaying the inch symbol it displays (a€).  I thought that there was a way around this using double quotes, but it's simply displays multiple a€. Any ideas?

Tags (4)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
SteveKStafford
in reply to: craig

You can use a pair of single quotes to look like double and that will "work", fool Revit and the keynote file.

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 3 of 9
craig
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Thanks Steve. Apparently revit will no longer be fooled. That produced the same results. Older inch symbols that are in the file still work, so I copied one of those to this new note and it works! Go figure.

Message 4 of 9
SteveKStafford

Hmm, I just did it in 2024 before replying, used the single quotes and it worked fine. Are you using Keynote Manager by any chance? If so maybe there is something going on between Revit and the app?

SteveKStafford_0-1688151281415.png

Steve Stafford
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 5 of 9
craig
in reply to: SteveKStafford

I appreciate that Steve. Thank you. My workflow is perhaps more complicated than Keynote manager. I'm running Revit on a Windows virtual machine using Parallels on a Mac Studio M2. My Keynote file is a Numbers document from which I export to a Tab Separated Value file. Then I modify the .TSV extension to .TXT and reference it as my Keynote file in Revit. This all worked like a charm with my old iMac. Perhaps there is different programing going on under the hood in this new computer and OS to produce what looks like an inch symbol!?

Message 6 of 9
SteveKStafford

Aah, that is more involved. I'd bet the conversion process is introducing a different font code for double quotes. I know I've had to be careful to specify the correct ANSI values using Excel exports when going from CSV to TXT.

At least copying an existing symbol worked, for now 😉 Good luck!

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 7 of 9
ToanDN

How do you edit Keynote file? Excel?

Message 8 of 9
craig
in reply to: ToanDN

My Keynote file is a Numbers document from which I export to a Tab Separated Value file. Then I modify the .TSV extension to .TXT and reference it as my Keynote file in Revit.

Message 9 of 9
HVAC-Novice

I don't know anything about Mac... but i use Google sheets to edit the notes (since that also allows me to share the file with other team members and have them edit it). Then download to the txt file format. Maybe try the same. 

My head spins reading your long process to do that... but I bet somewhere in that process is where the " causes issue, not in Revit. Also look into the txt file after your process, if that has the ". 

Revit version: R2025.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report