Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Revit on two computers

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
akanter
3602 Views, 9 Replies

Using Revit on two computers

I have a solo architecture firm running Revit on a desktop computer. I am now adding a laptop for more mobility. My question is, what is the best way to move or manage project files between computers. Project on a thumb drive? Cloud services like Autodesk 360 or . . . ? Thanks for any insights about this.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
SteveKStafford
in reply to: akanter

I put most everything I need to use (like Project Files) on more than one computer on an external USB hard drive. I'm just careful that the path to the drive is the same for each PC.

Autodesk would certainly like you to start to depend on their cloud services though. 😉

Steve Stafford
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 3 of 10
ZA_Sean

I'd say look into using a NAS to store all your files, where you can directly access them from your office workstation VIA network connection. Most NAS's come with the capability of setting up an FTP server, where you could access it from outside the office on your laptop, as long as you have an internet connection.

Message 4 of 10
SteveKStafford
in reply to: ZA_Sean

Keep in mind that approach won't fly for worksharing projects assuming, as a solo architect, that concept is being utilized despite not sharing the files with anyone else concurrently.

Steve Stafford
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.
EESignature

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Personally I recommend a cloud solution (dropbox, box, egnyte, etc.), it's been a solid solution and has been very reliable. Keep a USB thumb drive handy just in case though. 

*The folder structure to your cloud storage location on both PC's will need to be identical for worksharing to work.*

Message 6 of 10
ZA_Sean
in reply to: Anonymous

With the cloud based storage, what are Save times looking like for a 100MB file?

If majority of your work is done on your office workstation, I'd prefer the NAS connection because of the write/read speeds as compared to cloud storage.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ZA_Sean

Read/write speeds can be an issue if you are using worksharing. Currently it takes a couple minutes to update across dropbox which has been a small issue for larger projects but giving each other a head's up on when we syncronize has resolved the problem.

If you are the only person working on a revit file then cloud storage will not impede you at all.

Message 8 of 10
akanter
in reply to: SteveKStafford

Thank you, and everyone else who responded so quickly. Many good ideas
here.
Message 9 of 10
SteveKStafford

Using worksharing and Dropbox is a plan destined to end in tears...

Unless there is never any concurrent interaction between users and the data, Dropbox simply cannot act fast enough to prevent two users from inadvertently borrowing the same element. Something as simple as inconsequential as two users deciding to slide the same view over on a sheet can create an irreconciable difference in local/central file relationships ... and you can't sync any of your work. You may get lucky for awhile but eventually it will bite you in uncomfortable places.

File replication without the network understanding element borrowing and permissions is a disaster in waiting. It's why Revit Server was created and why Autodesk is now offering Collaboration for Revit and cloud project hosting via A360.

Steve Stafford
EESignature

Message 10 of 10
Darin.Green

Do not use Dropbox. Since you're an Autodesk user, you can adopt A360 and workshare between your desktop and your laptop. Here's how...

From Revit, initiate worksharing and specify a directory within your 360 drive (C:\Users\<yourlogin>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Autodesk Sync\Cloud\<yourlogin>\... for hosting your Central Model.

As long as your login name is the same on both systems, you're basically tricking Revit into believing its using worksharing. From the laptop, browse to the same location to generate a local copy from the central.

If this information was helpful, please consider using the Accept Solution

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report