Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an educational version of revit to enter a design competiton

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Fatmarenderings2019
611 Views, 8 Replies

Using an educational version of revit to enter a design competiton

Hello 

I am a masters student using an educational version of revit. Recently a designer posted a competition on social media which every body can enter, with a potential cash price for the winner

I wanted to ask if it is okay to use my educational version of revit to enter that competition ? what i understood from reading the terms of use and liscencing agreement is that the educational liscence does not cover commercial /for profit use . But does that count? 

Thanks 

Labels (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Would you be profiting from it?

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 3 of 9
Tom_Kunsman
in reply to: RobDraw

I don't think in this case it matters if you get a cash prize or other award that has some cash value. Lots of other college and high school students enter design competitions and win cash or other prizes. I think the intent is to prevent professional firms/people from using the educational software to charge a client for a service. 

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 4 of 9
RobDraw
in reply to: Tom_Kunsman

@Tom_Kunsman wrote:

I think the intent is to prevent professional firms/people from using the educational software to charge a client for a service. 

I disagree. I think the intent is to allow students to learn the software without the cost of subscription. If there were enough contests, a student with a free license could profit quite a bit. Obviously, the OP has doubts or they wouldn't be asking the question. When in doubt err on the side of caution.

Rob

Message 5 of 9

not using for commercial purpose only for student learning path

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the above reply answers your question; Please mark it with ACCEPT SOLUTION
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mohamed Nassar , ACP, Autodesk Ambassador Gold
BIM Support / Structure Modeler
Message 6 of 9

@RobDraw i wont profit unless i am the competition winner. If i win i get a cash price if i dont win i dont get anything accept for maybe posting my design on social media 

Message 7 of 9

I'm not a lawyer and cannot offer you legal advice. Entering the contest may not be explicitly against the EULA but winning it might be. If you want to be safe, subscribe for a month. Do the project entirely on the paid for version and you won't have to worry about it.

Rob

Message 8 of 9

I get your point . But actually I am quite new to competitions as this is the first building design competition i am considering entering . Thats why i am cautious .

Message 9 of 9

My first thought would be no since it's not for educational purposes, the second, do you need Revit for it? Perhaps call Revit helpdesk, they can probably tell you right away.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators