Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating a Family in Multiple Projects

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
cc4535
5587 Views, 12 Replies

Updating a Family in Multiple Projects

So, we are an AEC firm and our average project has 15 .rvt files minimum we have had projects that top 100 + .rvt files. My question is. Is there a Dynamo script or a Add-in or anything else that can I can use to choose a single family and update it in all the .rvt files in one of our projects. I know this is possible, I used to build families for a company that did similar things to this, I am just not a programmer or very intelligent about Dynamo. Does anyone have a suggestion or a solution?

Chuck Conley
M3 Engineering
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
barthbradley
in reply to: cc4535

@cc4535wrote:

I know this is possible

I'm not so sure about that, @cc4535.

This question has been fielded before, and I don't recall there ever being an "automated" solution offered. I even wonder if such a "blind" batch updating tool would do more harm than good. 

I'll stay tuned... 

Message 3 of 13
Corsten.Au

May I know which family you are looking for??

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 4 of 13
cc4535
in reply to: Corsten.Au

So, our firm has 15 plus central files to create a single project. We do Mining facilities which are made up of multiple areas with multiple buildings in each area which creates a lot of central files. If we have for example an updated Title Block we have to open all 15 plus central files and update this title block. Does anyone have an automated way of doing this??

Chuck Conley
M3 Engineering
Message 5 of 13
Corsten.Au

Hi
Seems you can use dynamo for that..
Simple script
1. Select the folder ( where Revit files are )
2. Open the file
3. Open particular Revit family
4. Insert that family in the project
5. Save the file...

Am not sure if you can get that script ready made.. but if someone knows dynamo in the team am sure it can be done efficiently..

Cheers
Corsten
Building Designer
Message 6 of 13
cbcarch

Take a look at the Revit API Macro and/or Dynamo Script mentioned here:

https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/load-multiple-families-from-a-folder/11906/23

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 7 of 13
cc4535
in reply to: cbcarch

I have seen these but it lets you load multiple families into a single Project. I need to load a single family into multiple projects. I will try to play with his .dyn some more and see if I can get it to let me select multiple projects some how. Thanks

Chuck Conley
M3 Engineering
Message 8 of 13
Viveka_CD

Hi @cc4535

You may try to use a dynamo 'package' to automate this.

Please post to the dynamo forum for further feedback.

See related threads for more input:

https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/replace-a-family-rfa-in-multiple-projects-rvt/19723

https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/how-to-insert-a-family-and-or-folder-of-families-into-multiple-models/...

Hope that helps!

Let us know on this thread how it goes. Good luck!

Regards,

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Hello Chuck, 

You can give a try to this app,  to be honest I don´t have used already but I think it fits exactly what you are looking for.

BIM Batch Suite

Keep me updated if Works fine!

Kind Regards, 

Alejandro.

Message 10 of 13
cc4535
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks, I have tried this before and it would not work. It seems to work I still have to sync every file but faser.

Chuck Conley
M3 Engineering
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

I see three answers are marked as solutions, but none of them have a definite, proven solution. So i'm just throwing this out here:

What about batch executing a journal file? It's what we use for upgrading all files to new Revit version, it seems intuitive that a journal file could instruct Revit to load a family.

I'll delve into that and keep you updated.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

It´s sound very interesting for me,  could you please describe How I can do that way?

I´m not very familiar with journal file and bach processes in Revit, if you can give me for details or some info it would be very helpful for me.

Thank you for your comment!

Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Is there anything like this that will work with Cloud hosted models? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report