Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode Control Codes in Text?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
Anonymous
9628 Views, 20 Replies

Unicode Control Codes in Text?

I would like to be able to input a non-printing control code in text, identically to the Insert Unicode Character choice when editing dimensions. Yet, I'm unable to use the same unicode characters (without cutting/pasting between dimensions and text). Doe Revit text NOT allow for the use of all Unicode format control codes and only printing ones?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: Anonymous

Robert_Grandmaison wrote:

I would like to be able to input a non-printing control code in text, identically to the Insert Unicode Character choice when editing dimensions. Yet, I'm unable to use the same unicode characters (without cutting/pasting between dimensions and text). Doe Revit text NOT allow for the use of all Unicode format control codes and only printing ones?

What is it for?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I want to be able to create a leader without any text...just like you can do with aligned permanent dimensions and the sneaky unicode trick.

Consider the attachment image- these are just text objects with leaders- but you'll notice that the text field is totally blank. The ones on the right are exact copies made from the ones on the left...just selected so you can see the textbox.

Message 4 of 21
loboarch

You can create "null" characters in Revit using the Windows CHARMAP tool.

In Windows XP:From the start menu go to Run and type charmap in the dialog box.  Now select a null character to cut and paste from charmap to Revit

In Vista Run charmap from: Start Menu>Programs>Accessories>System Tools

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: loboarch

I'm very familiar with charmap, however it doesn't work as it should in this case. I've tried this technique, even before your suggestion, and when I select a null character it pastes into the Revit text field, but when finished, Revit simply removes the null character and the leader and text both disappear. That's why I specfically asked for a Unicode Format Control code instead. Because something like the "Left-to'Right/LRM" Unicode works for creating aligned dimensions without any text, I'm assuming it would do likewise for leadered text IF you can input the exact same control code. I know if you cut/past that LRM code from the aligned dimension you can get it to work, but it's too cumbersome to have to create a "LRM" linear dimension override and copy/paste when it might be much easuer to type in the "U+200E" keystrokes.

It seems to me that the Revit application itself doesn't allow for input of Unicode FORMATTING codes from the keyboard and must be done, and only for dimensions, from the context menu. Is that correct? If so, that really should be changed to allow for industry standard input of all Unicode controls and characters directly from the keyboard. I know it works for printing characters from the keyboard, either in text or dimensions.

The attached image will show you what I'm trying to access the equivilant of, but from inside the text box and not just dimensions.

Message 6 of 21
Alfredo_Medina

Revit is missing a separate annotation tool just for arrows, or at least a variation in the code of the current leader tool in that an empty string, a space (" "), is accepted as a valid entry. It seems too cumbersome to do all this Unicode trick just to draw an arrow. I was doing some research and I found that the equivalent of an empty string or space is U+0020. I made a type of leader using Arial Unicode font, and I was able to type other things such as Alt+64 (@) , and the leader worked, but it did not work when I typed Alt+0020 (space). By the way, how did you create the sample arrows shown in your previous message, then?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

Alf,

To do the trick in the image, I had to copyclip/paste the LRM Unicode from a modified linear dimension string.

Message 8 of 21
rosskirby

Just out of curiosity, in what situations would you need to create a leader without text?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

Load diagrams on beams...Slope arrows on a slab...Bearing points on a truss diagram... those three come immediately to mind...sure, I can make a symbol for that too, but traditionally I've used leaders.

Message 10 of 21
rosskirby

I see.  Would it make sense to have those elements in Revit Structure rather than Architecture? (where there might be more native support for what you're trying to do)  Are you also the structural engineer, or are these meant to be interdisciplinary communication diagrams between you and the structural engineer?

I only ask because we've never included any of the items you mentioned in our projects.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 11 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

Actually, I'm a licensed Architect who happens to be the CAD Manager for  structural engineering firm. I'm also instructor who teaches AutoCAD, Revit and other software applications at a local community college.

So, it would be a multiple disciplined use.

Message 12 of 21
loboarch

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm very familiar with charmap, however it doesn't work as it should in this case. I've tried this technique, even before your suggestion, and when I select a null character it pastes into the Revit text field, but when finished, Revit simply removes the null character and the leader and text both disappear. That's why I specfically asked for a Unicode Format Control code instead. Because something like the "Left-to'Right/LRM" Unicode works for creating aligned dimensions without any text, I'm assuming it would do likewise for leadered text IF you can input the exact same control code. I know if you cut/past that LRM code from the aligned dimension you can get it to work, but it's too cumbersome to have to create a "LRM" linear dimension override and copy/paste when it might be much easuer to type in the "U+200E" keystrokes.

It seems to me that the Revit application itself doesn't allow for input of Unicode FORMATTING codes from the keyboard and must be done, and only for dimensions, from the context menu. Is that correct? If so, that really should be changed to allow for industry standard input of all Unicode controls and characters directly from the keyboard. I know it works for printing characters from the keyboard, either in text or dimensions.

The attached image will show you what I'm trying to access the equivilant of, but from inside the text box and not just dimensions.

I thought I had done it using charmap in the past but I must admit I did not test before I posted. (I was really just giving the new forums a run to see how they worked.)

One other thing you could consider is making a text style that uses "white", then you can put any character in there and it will effectivly be a "null" character. (I did not test this one either.)

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 13 of 21
Alfredo_Medina

Unfortunately, the color property applies to the leader, only, not to the text. If you use color 'white' you get an invisible leader with some black text in it.

Message 14 of 21
loboarch

Alfredo_Medina wrote:

Unfortunately, the color property applies to the leader, only, not to the text. If you use color 'white' you get an invisible leader with some black text in it.

Well there goes that idea.  Guess I need to test this stuff out before responding.  You are going to make me get out my work laptop and stop posting from my home computer.  Smiley Happy

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 15 of 21
Alfredo_Medina

Don´t worry, Jeff. It has happened to me, too.  Smiley Happy

Don't forget the golden rule: "test before you post".

Message 16 of 21
loboarch

The best I could come up with after doing some testing is to create a text family which is 1/256" high and then populate the field with a period.  On screen it looks like a leader with nothing behind it.  The problem may com when printing.  The period will still need to be printed and depending on how small you printer is capable of making a mark this really small period not seen on screen might be way to obvious when printed.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous

Hi

It seems that if you have this extended rightclick menu in Notepad - then you have it in Revit.

And it has to do with Input Method Editors and Asian language options  i think.

I have not figured out how to fix it if it doesnt show.

This rightclick menu is about the only thing in Revit that will display the local language on your computer.

If anybody spins this further keep us posted 😉

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous

Try this... Years later I guess... 

Unicode.png

Message 19 of 21
mtobiasdesigns

I feel like the old posts should be wiped from the blog and this new post be the answer. I was looking for this forever. So much better for current variation. I'm using Revit 2022. 1' is the edited dim, 7-31/32" is the accurate dim for this generic detail. Just in case you were wondering, I selected the first item in the dropdown, LRM (Left-to-Right Mark). 

Message 20 of 21
ToanDN
in reply to: mtobiasdesigns

@mtobiasdesigns wrote:

I feel like the old posts should be wiped from the blog and this new post be the answer. I was looking for this forever. So much better for current variation. I'm using Revit 2022. 1' is the edited dim, 7-31/32" is the accurate dim for this generic detail. Just in case you were wondering, I selected the first item in the dropdown, LRM (Left-to-Right Mark). 

@Anonymous  wasn't asking how to insert an Unicode in a dimension, but a text.  And inserting Unicode has never been able for plain text.  However, it is a moot point because for several newer Revit versions, you can start a text with leader, enter nothing, finish to have a leader without text.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report