Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to change the revit username (faded out)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2474 Views, 6 Replies

Unable to change the revit username (faded out)

Hello dear readers,

I have Revit 2021.

When I log in with an Autodesk account which has a subscription to use it, Revit doesn't allow me to change the username. It's all faded out. In the Options tab the username section, it says "You currently signed in. Your autodesk ID is used as the username. If you need to change your username, you will need to sign out."

At the top right of the software beside the username when I click on the down arrow, I only see "Sign out & Quit" in the drop-down list. And it kickes me out of the program. And when I open the Revit again, i have to sign in with an autodesk account. Otherwise it doesn't let me work.

It's seems there is no way to change it without signing out and there is no way to open the program without signing in. It's kind of a loop.

How can I change this faded out username? 

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
syman2000
in reply to: Anonymous

Check this website and see if you are able to change your name online

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/account-management/account-profile/edit-autodesk-acc...

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 3 of 7
RobDraw

That might be a limitation of the new user sign in licensing.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 4 of 7
jbcoe

I recently ran into the same issue. I managed to figure this out, but it definitely is not as easy as it used to be under the old license model. With a Revit project open, I had to logout of the Autodesk Desktop App (not Revit). After you logout, you will see the username area in Revit (top right) change to "Sign In". Once you do this, you will have ten minutes to do whatever you need to. This will also release the username field in the options. Change the username and close Revit within the 10 minutes. When you open Revit again, it will be under the new username for a short time.

I had to do this to release to worksharing borrowing of someone that was not at the firm anymore. This is really an unfriendly process now. Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 7
sthedens

I tried the solution jbcoe suggested.  Unfortunately, the time frame has shortened from 10 minutes to about 1/2 a second.

Message 6 of 7
RobDraw
in reply to: sthedens

It looks like you're going to have to find another way to do what you want to do.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 7 of 7
David_W_Koch
in reply to: sthedens

If you are trying to clear ownership of objects, for projects that are hosted on your network, have every one in the model synchronize and exit the model.  Then open the model detached and use Save As to overwrite the central file.  That will clear all ownership for all users and break the connection to all local files, which is why you need to have everyone synchronize all changes first. 

All users now need to create new locals and can then continue editing.

If the project is on the BIM 360 platform, there is a force relinquish function.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report