Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top Rail and Post Join

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
PhilvK
1791 Views, 10 Replies

Top Rail and Post Join

Is there a way get the top rail in the snip below to fillet smoothly to the end post?

Rail Join.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
barthbradley
in reply to: PhilvK

Is this a Top Rail? Edit Properties under Top Rail and change Extension Style to: Floor.

Actually, I misread image, but if Top Rail, what I said will work, but your also going to need to deal with the existing Start and End Post by setting them to "None". Additionally, you need to give the Top Post a slight Extension distance to get it to return to Floor. There may be other tinkering required as well. If you want to post, I'll fool with it a bit.

Message 3 of 11
PhilvK
in reply to: barthbradley

I was able to get what is pictured below by deleting the start and end posts as you suggested, and editing the top rail sketch path. I need to play with it a little more to get it to be able to fillet. I found that by using the extension-to-floor method, the extension at the bottom was going flat thus messing up the nice corner I am going for.

Thank you for offering to take a look at the file - it’s included in this reply. I appreciate any other suggestions. While you’re looking at it, do you have any idea why the ends of the stringer (green arrow below) appear in 3D, but not in plan?  Thank you again!

Rail Join.jpgRail Join 2.jpg

Message 4 of 11
PhilvK

Here's the file I mentioned in my previous post. I couldn't;t seem to edit the last one.

Message 5 of 11
barthbradley

@PhilvK. Very nice! I kind of figured that you'd dislike that "slight" extension I said that you needed to make my approach work. Using that approach, the Top Post wouldn't terminate on the stringer as nicely as yours it does here. Well done. 

Cheers! 

p.s. since this was a "team" solution; does this forum allow you to credit us both? 

Message 6 of 11
PhilvK
in reply to: barthbradley

Credit's all yours!

Message 7 of 11
ToanDN

@PhilvK

For some reason the extended part of the stringer of a stair by sketch only shows when the cut plane is high enough to show the entire stair.

Capture.PNG

Message 8 of 11
PhilvK
in reply to: ToanDN

Do you know if it is true that once you change a stringer to a ‘real’ steel profile, the stringer can’t be extended by editing even if the stair is converted from ‘component’ to ‘by sketch’

Message 9 of 11
ToanDN

Stringers cannot extend pass the first nosing if you create a Stair by Component, even when you convert to Sketch in editing mode.  It only works for the true Stair by Sketch.

One thing you could do is modify the nosing profile and tread profile to provide offset from the actual control line.

Capture1.PNGCapture.PNG

Message 10 of 11
PhilvK
in reply to: ToanDN

Can you add just a little more info on how that nosing profile elates to your stair example and how its forcing the end of the stringer outboard of the nosing? I kind of understand, but not fully.

Message 11 of 11
ToanDN

Modifying the nosing and tread profiles does not extend the stringers out, but push in nosing and the tread in.  So it gives the same effect.

I will upload a screencast in a few minutes.

Edit:  It only works for 3D and section/elevation, unfortunately.  The stair plan still shows with the original nosing lines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report