Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tile Pattern Not Rendering Correctly

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
lee.imbimbo86EM4
581 Views, 13 Replies

Tile Pattern Not Rendering Correctly

I'm trying to figure out why my material is not rendering correctly.  I'm trying to use Revit's Tile Pattern method to get the seamless image of the stone tile, with the right color grout applied, but when I do it significantly lightens the source image, and I don't know why.  it will show it correctly in the Tile's Texture Editor palette and then not correctly in the Appearance Tab.  See the attached, below, and when applying the tile pattern method to it, it takes the source seamless image for the tile itself and then just lightens it up significantly.  I don't see any mechanism to undo that.

Any ideas?

Tile Appearance Tab.JPG

Tile Pattern Tab.JPG

OST05_SABLE_12X24_EXT_STRAIGHT_ON_Seamless.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Check the settings here (circled in red):

Thumbnail Preview.png

BTW: Porcelain Satin has some reflective properties.  

Message 3 of 14

So regardless of Finish selection made, or scene selected nothing seems to change.  It is still taking the seamless image I linked and dropping it from a rich dark color to this very whited out version.  Its almost like it is applying a gray mask over the whole thing.

Message 4 of 14

@lee.imbimbo86EM4 wrote:

Its almost like it is applying a gray mask over the whole thing.

Sounds like Reflectivity to me.  

FWIW:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2021/ENU/Revit-C...

Message 5 of 14

I wish it were, but there is not a single factor controlling reflectance, reflectivity, or other item I can fine.  I mean I attached the source file for the seamless image, it is pretty dark.  Why else would it be applying this graying out layer over it.

Message 6 of 14

What Version of Revit?  Try another.  Any difference?  

This is my result using your Image and Image Fade at around 30.   

Tile731.png

Message 7 of 14

I'm using Revit 2023.  So what's weird to me, when you use a starting template for a "tile" material, not a "default" material you do not get the fade control you used to control the material.  Any suggestions?

Message 8 of 14
ToanDN
in reply to: lee.imbimbo86EM4

@lee.imbimbo86EM4 wrote:

I'm using Revit 2023.  So what's weird to me, when you use a starting template for a "tile" material, not a "default" material you do not get the fade control you used to control the material.  Any suggestions?

Some attributes are built in the specific appearance asset such as Ceramic: Porcelain vs Ceramic.  If you want a complete control of all attributes then use Generic asset.

Message 9 of 14

Actually, there is an issue with 2023. I just discovered it.  I don't have a fix.  I'm going to Open a Support Case on it myself.  You can do the same.  The more the merrier.  

Message 10 of 14

Got a fix for you in the interim. 

Create the Material in 2022 and add it to an ADSKLIB file.  Then, in your 2023 Project, open that ADSKLIB and load your Material.  

Message 11 of 14
ToanDN

Have you tried to adjust the brightness of the image under Tiles appearance? 

ToanDN_0-1659379477728.png

Revit 2023 rendering samples.

0% brightness

ToanDN_1-1659380197645.png

31% brightness

ToanDN_0-1659380117819.png

100% brightness

ToanDN_2-1659380248480.png

Message 12 of 14

Barth - How do I get a 2021 material library accessible in 2023?  I haven't had a chance to try this out just yet, but I guess I assumed that the MATLIB2021 wouldn't be something that could opened in 2023.

Toad - It would appear that you're using a different tile material asset than I was using.  Let me try that one, and see if I get different results.

Thank you guys

Message 13 of 14
ToanDN

I use the same asset as you do.

Message 14 of 14

@lee.imbimbo86EM4 wrote:

Barth - How do I get a 2021 material library accessible in 2023?  I haven't had a chance to try this out just yet, but I guess I assumed that the MATLIB2021 wouldn't be something that could opened in 2023.

Toad - It would appear that you're using a different tile material asset than I was using.  Let me try that one, and see if I get different results.

Thank you guys

Add it to a newly created ADSKLIB and open that ADSKLIB in whatever version of Revit you want.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report