Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of switching from AutoCAD to Revit

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
cjrichard0718
219 Views, 3 Replies

Thinking of switching from AutoCAD to Revit

I own a small commercial firm and thinking of switching from AutoCAD to Revit.  We will need to phase Revit in to keep current projects going.  Question.  Can you open AutoCAD drawings and work on them in Revit or will I need to keep an AutoCAD license AND Revit license during the transition period? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

If your current licenses are only for AutoCAD, then yes, you will need to add licenses for Revit.  Check the pricing for the AEC Collection (which includes both, plus a lot more) against the price of AutoCAD + Revit individually.  It is likely less expensive to get the collection, at least during your transition.

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 4

I agree with David, the AEC collection is the way to go. 

I switched around 6 years ago, after using cad for 10 years, I am very happy I made the switch. 

I started using it in a hybrid manner at first where I would do plans in cad, then use revit to generate elevations, and sections, and bring those back into cad to clean up, then eventually using less cad, and now all revit, cad is only used to coordinate with civil who does not use revit and clean up .dwgs used to create families. 

Message 4 of 4

I do not think you should jump straight to AEC Collection. You should contact some local CAD vendor who can help you with it. He can analyze problem, offer you solution and give some price ranges. Sometimes Revit + Autocad in both LT versions can be completely fine for your work. 

Regarding your question, yes. You can link DWG file (and other formats) and work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report