Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The selection can’t be pasted because it is not visible in this view.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
norman2KMXQ
683 Views, 11 Replies

The selection can’t be pasted because it is not visible in this view.

Can this error be eliminated when copy and pasting text boxes:

"The selection can’t be pasted because it is not visible in this view."

I just want to Ctrl-V paste a text box copied from one view and have it placed where I click in the current view - what does it matter if it's not visible in the current view.

norman2KMXQ_0-1687452521499.png

Thanks,

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
barthbradley
in reply to: norman2KMXQ

Expand the Error Dialog Box to see all the possibilities of "WHY".  

...bet you a buck one of them applies.  

Message 3 of 12
norman2KMXQ

I know why (per the error message) -  but the reason does not make sense - it's a simple copy and paste (CTRL-C --> CTRL-V) of a text box. My question of why is "Why is this an error?" - at most it should be a warning that can be ignored.

Message 4 of 12
ToanDN

Temporarily uncrop the view first then re-crop it after pasting.

Message 5 of 12
norman2KMXQ

Thanks ToanDN - I know how to work around the problem - I guess I am just venting here because I don't understand the purpose of the "Error" - why is Revit throwing an error message for this action - it doesn't make sense to me.

Message 6 of 12
Mike.FORM

It is giving an error because even when just using ctrl-v it still visually shows where the text is on the other view as if you are using paste aligned to current view.

so if the annotation crop is making it so that visual graphic isn't able to show it gives the error.

The blue dotted box is where my mouse is and where i am trying to place the text.

MikeFORM_0-1687526759479.png

Message 7 of 12
norman2KMXQ
in reply to: Mike.FORM

@Mike.FORM thanks for the detailed explanation. This may be a functional issue with Revit, but it seems like something that should be fixed by the developer (not just throw up a random error). After you hit CTRL-V the item you are pasting will usually jump to your mouse cursor where you still have to click to place it - what does the user care if the original view that the items is being copied from is outside of the crop region.

Thanks

Message 8 of 12
RSomppi

Some users do care.

Perhaps you can consider presenting your thoughts as an IDEA in the IDEAS forum for the a future release.

Message 9 of 12
norman2KMXQ

@RSomppi Why would anyone care if where the item is being copied from is not visible. The whole reason for copying it is because it's not visible, so that you can paste it in a visible location in the current view. Copying from a non visible area to a visible area. Please give me a good reason why anyone would care.

Thanks,

Message 10 of 12
RSomppi

Trust me, people care. You already know how to get around it. If you think it's a useless feature, share your thoughts in the IDEAS forum where it might get some traction. (This forum is for solutions.)

Message 11 of 12
norman2KMXQ

It would be easier to trust you if you provided even just one reason.

Thanks,

Message 12 of 12
RSomppi

To what end? The reasons are irrelevant beyond you trying to validate your opinions. People much smarter than you and I made the decision years ago. 

Good luck in the IDEAS forum.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report