Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep in Family issues

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Marie.j03
1861 Views, 6 Replies

Sweep in Family issues

Hi Community 

I haven't been using revit for a while and now I am having a few issues with the software which I can't seem to solve. I am trying to model this family with parametric edges where I used a profile and sweep. I modeled the profile first and loaded to the main family and that worked fine. the problem is it is called Family2 and when I try to rename it to the model number of the profile the rename option is not available  as the image below shows

How can I rename it or why is rename not available?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RDAOU
in reply to: Marie.j03

@Marie.j03 

The form on screen is grayed out so it  seem to be in edit/sketch mode. Go to modify tab and exit edit mode to finish sweep then rename

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 7
Marie.j03
in reply to: RDAOU

Thank you for the quick answer. That worked and managed to rename it

Now I am getting an error cannot be ignored - can't create sweep. I tried to pick another path but also did not work. same error

Message 4 of 7
RDAOU

@Marie.j03 

Maybe check the profile which you are using. Most probably it is not suitable to be used for a sweep...it has to be a single closed loop with no intersecting or overlapping lines example:

• The figure of an 8 won't work
  • A rectangular form with lines not trimmed at one or more corners
  • A profile where you have placed two lines on top of each other by mistake or extended one line to overlap another

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 7
Marie.j03

It was the last one. the bottom edge had 2 model lines. 

Still after I fixed revit cannot make sweep. I double checked all it is a very simple profile 190x105 mm with a cut out at one corner/  I did notice one thing weird. When I select the profile type P1 it shows both types P1 and P2 although P2 is set to invisible using visibility parameter. Could that be it? and if so how can I then have different types?

Message 6 of 7
RDAOU

@Marie.j03 wrote:

It was the last one. the bottom edge had 2 model lines. 

Still after I fixed revit cannot make sweep. I double checked all it is a very simple profile 190x105 mm with a cut out at one corner/  I did notice one thing weird. When I select the profile type P1 it shows both types P1 and P2 although P2 is set to invisible using visibility parameter. Could that be it? and if so how can I then have different types?

@Marie.j03 

It is exactly that. You solved your own question 🙂 visibility parameter do not work in this case even if unchecked, when loaded both profile will show in both types making it a crossing loop ... lines intersect ... or more like two intersecting loops ==> sweep fails

In the case of profiles the types are/should be a variation of the same closed loop...ie: only the dimensions change and P1 would then be the smaller/bigger section of P2... Not its mirror or flip. The latter you need to load as a separate profile family >>> make a sweep using Family 1 type P1 >>♤ make another sweep using Family 2 P2 >>> then control the visibility  of the sweeps using a parameter 

Message 7 of 7
Marie.j03

ok thank you. I will try that out

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators