Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standing Seam Roof Hatch Orientation

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
revitus
4931 Views, 10 Replies

Standing Seam Roof Hatch Orientation

Short question - how do I get the standing seam roof hatch to follow the slope of my roof components for plan view?

More descriptive - I am trying to show the ribs of the standing seam metal roof by assigning the Material "Roofing - Metal Standing Seam" to the structure of the roof finish component so the hatch pattern shows up for my roof plan and exterior elevations. I have applied the Surface Pattern "Standing Seam" (which is a Drafting Pattern Type), and tried to modify it's setting to "Align with element", but the plan view always just shows the hatch vertical no matter which way the roof slopes. I have some typical hip and valley roofs as well as simple gables. Anybody know the solution?

Thanks in advance for your help.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Scott_Womack
in reply to: revitus

First, you need to apply a model pattern to the roofs. When this is done, it should "automatically" follow the slope of the roof, turning itself as it does.
Message 3 of 11
Brian.wrxman
in reply to: revitus

If you got this to work would you be willing to share the style. I'm pulling my hair out here because all the out of the box roof styles are for shingles. 

Message 4 of 11

Firstly I'd make your pattern Model rather than Drafting and set the spacing to be what you expect for your standing seams.

To adjust the orientation of the hatch all you need to do is Tab Select one of the pattern lines and then rotate it.  You can also use the align tool to align the hatch to an edge (particularly useful with brick patterns) - see screencast below.

HTH

K.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 5 of 11

Thanks, I can't wait to give it a try

Brian T. Workman
Keiser Design Group, Inc.
800 Cross Pointe, Suite M
Gahanna, OH 43230
Cell: 1.614.325.3484
Office: 1.614.864.9999
Fax: 1.614.864.9990
www.KeiserDesignGroup.com
LinkedIn: Brian Workman
Message 6 of 11
alex60
in reply to: Brian.wrxman

Hi all, the best way to do this is by copying the roof on top of the original and change it to a sloped glazing roof with the profile and dimensions of the panel as the metal sheet and give a aluminum or other color material. See the attached image of our project with this type of roof.

Thanks in advance, Alex

Message 7 of 11
Keith_Wilkinson
in reply to: alex60

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all, the best way to do this is by copying the roof on top of the original and change it to a sloped glazing roof with the profile and dimensions of the panel as the metal sheet and give a aluminum or other color material.

Uh, no it's not, unless your only interest in Revit is how it renders.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
Message 8 of 11
Keith_Wilkinson

Sorry - double post

Maimonides
Message 9 of 11
alex60
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

Hi Keith, this is not only for rendering, when you make a sloped glazing roof in 3D it is seen in all the views and you don't have to worry about the hatch nor in any other view including roof plan and elevations or sections, it appears as it is in 3D. See the roof plan of that house in the image.

Thanks in advance, Alex

Message 10 of 11
Keith_Wilkinson

You get exactly the same effect if you apply a surface pattern to the finish material of your roof build up, you'll see this in plan , section, elevation and 3D 

Just follow the steps in the screencast above, your life will be much easier. 

Maimonides
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Keith_Wilkinson

Hi Keith,

Thank you for information, I am looking for roof material to be asphault shingles and can not rotate, what now?

Angelica

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report