Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stairs and Railings in a group

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
arshamm
3144 Views, 9 Replies

Stairs and Railings in a group

Hi all,

I have similar unit types, 3 storey, I created a group with contains the stairs and the railings, but I can't mirror it,

herein you can find the error, I'd appreciate any help.

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Sahay_R
in reply to: arshamm

Can you share the file?

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 10
arshamm
in reply to: Sahay_R

no, I'm afraid I can't, it's the firm's property.

Message 4 of 10
semko_dm

You can save the group as a file.
Go to the Revit menu, Save As, Library and select Group.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Kind regards,
Dmitriy Semko.

1.jpg

Dmitriy Semko
BIM-Manager
Blog
Facebook | Telegram | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 10
barthbradley

Mirroring groups can be problematic, especially stairs because they have special intelligence. Better to create a left and right version. Refer to these best practices for groups:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/EN...

Message 6 of 10
ennujozlagam

Hello try not group your stair and railing, open two views one is your plan and 3D view, go to your 3D view isolate your railing and stair isolate by category, select your stair and railing then go to plan view and mirror from there and see if helps. Thanks

Remember : without the difficult times in your LIFE, you wouldn't be who you are today. Be grateful for the good and the bad. ANGER doesn't solve anything. It builds nothing, but it can destroy everything...
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 7 of 10
arshamm
in reply to: ennujozlagam

thanks to everyone but i found the solution myself,

when you wanna add a stair case to a group, you should just add the stair itself, not the railing nor the the pathway, not even the run or framing,

then you can mirror or copy with no errors.!

Message 8 of 10
barthbradley

Did you test and try to break it? In my experience, it will; costing you (or your boss) a a lot of time and money later on. 

I would not advocate this approach to others. I would advise adhering to Autodesk's published "Best Practices for Groups" - which strongly advises against mirroring groups - even if they seem to work initially. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/EN...

Message 9 of 10
arshamm
in reply to: barthbradley

i tested it out and it works perfectly!

i even made changes and there are no errors or any other problems,

thanks for your concern tho.

cheers

Message 10 of 10
Kristin.Long

Thanks for the tip about removing guardrails and handrails from the stair group. I made new groups for them, mirrored the stair group, then nested these railing groups inside the stair group. Now I have the stair mirrored with no warnings and the rails mirrored with no warnings. Having varying floor-to-floor heights, several stories, scissor stairs in each stairwell and four stairwells, just making them all ungrouped model elements wasn't practicable. 

On a related note, it'd be great if the bottom handrail extensions could meet 2010 ADA, with an 11 or 12" sloped extension and no horizontal component. 

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report