Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stair Stringer Extension

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
roothcad
10098 Views, 6 Replies

Stair Stringer Extension

We typically extend steel stringers past the bottom tread to the point where truncating yeilds a 4" vertical edge. This is done to match adjacent 4" high baseboard. I understand that the sketch lines can be extended BUT can it be done with this precision?

Is this beyond the capabilites of Revit?

Cheers

Rooth

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: roothcad

Try placing  a vertical reference plane in a section or plan exactly where the end of the stringer should stop.

Then in sketch mode, extend the sketch line to the reference plane.

Can you post an image or perhaps a portion of the revit file so we can take a look?

( I'm not actually trying this in Revit at the moment--but it's worth a try.)

cheers

Message 3 of 7
roothcad
in reply to: Anonymous

A touch onerous but yes, it did the trick.

Thanks so much for the tip!

Rooth

Message 4 of 7
AdamHamilton
in reply to: roothcad

Hate to dig up an old post but after trying this a bunch i found out that after the advent of stair by component in 2013+ this solution is only relevant to Stair by Sketch. The component based stair Support cannot extend passed the Tread. Even if you convert a component to a sketch, and though you can strech the Boundry line past the Tread, once you approve the sketch it will still stop at the face of tread. For this solution to still be valid you MUST start from Stair by Sketch

Message 5 of 7
PhilvK
in reply to: AdamHamilton

Thank you Adam. Your last sentence is what I was experiencing but was looking for confirmation: "For this solution to still be valid you MUST start from Stair by Sketch".

Message 6 of 7
emodderman
in reply to: Anonymous

This solution does not work anymore. 

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: emodderman

I concur-- the fix described above doesn't seem to work anymore in 2020-- please let me know if there is still a way to extend the stringers past the bottom riser (to a 4" height)!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators