Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stair by Sketch - Revit 2018

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
adamnicholes
7513 Views, 9 Replies

Stair by Sketch - Revit 2018

Why was the Create Stair by Sketch option removed from the  Revit 2018 Architecture Tab? There's no longer a drop-down menu for the stair tool.

Adam Nicholes, Assoc AIA, M.Arch
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
PijPiwo
in reply to: adamnicholes

Well, the drop-down is gone, but you can still create a sketch using a Sketch tool or Convert and Edit Sketch tools inside the component stair. Imho, I don’t think there is a need for a separate, dedicated Stair by Sketch tool.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

@adamnicholes wrote:

Why was the Create Stair by Sketch option removed from the  Revit 2018 Architecture Tab? There's no longer a drop-down menu for the stair tool.

It never worked right.  The built in arrows would hide and never work properly and you couldn't apply the stair tags to them.  

Personally, glad to see it go... but you can always change to sketch after creating stair by component and the nice thing is the stair tags will still work.

Message 4 of 10
damo3

@adamnicholes

You may want to read these two posts by the 'Revit Cat'. He outlines some of the key differences, the good and the bad. 

http://revitcat.blogspot.com.au/2015/12/revit-stair-sketch-tool.html

http://revitcat.blogspot.com.au/2016/01/revit-stair-component-sketch-tool-rules.html

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 5 of 10
adamnicholes
in reply to: PijPiwo

Thanks for the tip! Nice to know customers can still create custom stairs, though I don't understand why Autodesk didn't just leave the "Stair by Sketch" tool as it was.

Message 6 of 10
ToanDN

@adamnicholes wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Nice to know customers can still create custom stairs, though I don't understand why Autodesk didn't just leave the "Stair by Sketch" tool as it was.

Less things to maintain is better for them.  I don't really miss Stair by Sketch except for one thing, you can extend the stringers pass the first step.  I haven't tried in Revit 2018 yest but in previous versions, it is almost a no go for component stairs without some heavy workaround.

Message 7 of 10
PijPiwo
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN wrote:

it is almost a no go for component stairs without some heavy workaround.

Yep, the only way, that I know of, is to modify the landing.

Message 8 of 10
adamnicholes
in reply to: ToanDN

ToanRN,

I played with the "Convert to Sketch" tool this morning, and it's pretty straight forward. Each run and landing must be modified individually, but it seems to work like the old "stair by sketch" tool.

Message 9 of 10

I TRY BY BOTH METHODS IN REVIT 2018 TO MAKE STAIR BY SKETCH BUT EACH TIME IT GIVES ME THIS ERROR2018-03-02.png

AND WITH THE ERROR MONOLITHIC RUN 

2018-03-02 (1).png

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: sagar3663khot

@sagar3663khot

Where are your boundary lines and your riser lines?

Also, assign a height in the properties.  You have 0...

Oh, Monolithic.  You will have to have 3 separate stairs.  They want to be straight or curved but not turn on itself.

I'd use a floor instead.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report