Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sloped Gypsum ceiling to skylight

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1571 Views, 7 Replies

Sloped Gypsum ceiling to skylight

I'm trying to re-create an existing condition, shown in the attachments images. 

As you can see, there are 4 gypsum services that are sloping up to the skylight, that have different slopes and profiles. I have the skylight in and can get the ceilings sloping up from the flat 8' ceiling shown up to the skylight, as a separate ceiling sketch for each side. What I can't figure out how to change is the profile of each side of the sloping ceiling, which I guess is a trapazoid shape.

Has anyone got any ideas for this?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

you can use the Roof Tool to do that.  

BTW: it's not a trapezoid shape. It's rectangular -- top and bottom.  It's just a flared opening.  

Message 3 of 8
barthbradley

You know, you could let Revit figure it out for you. Do it as a Sweep Blend Extrusion using 2 differently-sized and angled rectangles, or a Mass Form from 2  differently-sized and angled rectangles.   If you do the latter, you can apply Wall/Roof by [Mass] Face. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

I'll look into some of these suggestions and see if it gets the job done.

BTW: we might have to agree to disagree on what a trapezoid is:

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/trapezoid

Message 5 of 8
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll look into some of these suggestions and see if it gets the job done.

BTW: we might have to agree to disagree on what a trapezoid is:

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/trapezoid

I think it's a rectangular frustum.  😉

...or flared skylight shaft, whichever you prefer. 

flared.png

Message 6 of 8
barthbradley

...actually, you just gave me an idea that might help you.  Revit has a fully parametric Pyramid-Truncated Vertical Mass Family in the box.  Check it out. It's in the Library's "Mass" folder. "Pyramid-Truncated Vertical.rfa"

Truncated.png

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

The truncated pyramid family seems to have done the trick. My work with mass families, however, is a little limited. Can I somehow create a void in the mass to open a shaft up to the skylight? At the moment, it's just sitting like a solid mass under the skylight.

Message 8 of 8
barthbradley

Great. Now that the hard part is done, apply shaft walls to four Mass Faces using the Wall by Face or Roof by Face tools on the Massing and Site tab, and then Hide the Mass.    

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators