Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slab Opening Family

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Berrys_Cooling_Drafter
2352 Views, 8 Replies

Slab Opening Family

Hi,

I am new to Revit never created any family yet.

I am a mechanical drafter so I need to be able to create slab openings and usually, they are different for every floor

I am looking to create a slab opening family that I can control the width and length of the opening.

The shaft opening command doesn't always work for me because at times i need a different size for every floor.

can you teach me how do I create such a family that I can place on a slab and it will create an opening that I can control the dimensions for that specific opening

thank you  

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Go to new -> family -> create face based or floor based family. Model a rectangular void with dimensions to the reference lines/sketch lines, assign instance or type parameters to those lenght/width dimension. (Cut host... ^^ although cutting in the project is also possible ) Select cut with voids and load into project. That should do it. FYI void openings are better than shafts if you have phasing requirements. Bet someone can make a screencast or some images, cant at the moment.^^

Message 3 of 9

1. You can just use the Vertical Cut Opening tool to draw the slab opening directly in project.

2. If you want a loadable family, start from a floor based family or a face based family:

2a. If floor based, draw a Cut Opening and add parameters to control the dimensions.

2b. If face based, draw a void, add parameters to control the dimensions, cut the host with that void, load it in the project and it will cut the floor you host it on. Noted that the floor based family can only be hosted by floors, the face based family can be hosted by any surfaces. 

If you choose the face based family, pay attention to the option bar when you place it and choose Surface instead of the default Vertical surface (which will try to find a wall instead of floor).

Message 4 of 9

i made these for my Structural group a while back.... your welcome to use them if they help. open them, revers engineer them, there not complicated :-).

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 9

thanks 

can you create a screencast when you have a chance it would be helpful so I can learn to do it on my own?

also, do I need to set depth or it would cut through any floor regardless of the thickness? 

Message 6 of 9

it is just an opening cut, no depth, it goes straight through :-). 

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 9

I don't see this mentioned. If it is, I apologize to its author.  

@Berrys_Cooling_Drafter: you can also edit the Slab Foundation/Floor and sketch the opening(s). Basically, define the openings right in the Slab/Floor.  Pretty painless. 

es.png

Message 8 of 9

Actually I mixed up two methods. You can either set it up to cut the host...
...or create a void family which is cuttable in project (cut with voids when loaded), placeable on refplanes/workplanes also in contrast to precut families. See attached. This family has some model lines assigned to a subcategory to turn on/off, can be turned on/off for instances also within the family. But an opening cut with floor based family for slabs is actually more of an answer to the question here tbh.

Openings in sketch are always vertical ie. if you have sloped floors, depending if you want that.

Message 9 of 9
ipselute
in reply to: martijn_pater

Hi, can you explain how to insert that void families into an opening? Revit 2020 doesn't give me any option in the sketch opening mode. How can i "assign" your family to an existing opening?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report