Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slab edge vs foundation wall

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
yes_and_no
931 Views, 10 Replies

Slab edge vs foundation wall

Guys, how would you control slab edge graphics ?

Also, is there a way to change shape (not dimensions) of the foundation wall ? Perhaps people in Structure Suite can help upload a more collaborative R17 family ? This one to the left is so kiddy...and the one to the right is floor hosted (illogically funny)

hnA__20211023_132044.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
RDAOU
in reply to: yes_and_no

@yes_and_no 

They are easy to model...why not try to put something together first and if that doesn't work then you ask for help? 

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 3 of 11
yes_and_no
in reply to: RDAOU

This is OTB family. How do you modify its shape (back to the question).
There is no point of modeling when there are things you can use with more
advance like this one.
Message 4 of 11
barthbradley

I don't understand what you are looking for. Rectangular-shaped doesn't work for you? If your formwork budget allows for it, I imagine just about any shape would be doable.   It's definitely not a problem to model in Revit, if that's what you are asking. It's just a 2D profile swept along a 3D path.

Funky Shape.png 

Message 5 of 11
ToanDN

Slab Edges are system family types that defined by Profiles.  They are not face based but they are generated by picking edges of a floor.  As with all other profile based family types, you modify them by changing the associated profiles.

ToanDN_0-1635041412472.png

Message 6 of 11
yes_and_no
in reply to: barthbradley

I asked : how to change the sweep shading to poche in a view template. As
shown there, it s always gray.

Also, the default retangle is not a typical footing, and Rv programmer
should know that. In reality SE uses T reverse or I or L reverse shape. And
this is 2021, Rv is already >15 yrs in the making.

Lastly, structure wise, the shape of footing is not a matter of forming
convenience.
Message 7 of 11
barthbradley

@yes_and_no wrote:
I asked : how to change the sweep shading to poche in a view template. 

HA! You're just messing with me now; aren't you?  If not, you're replying to the wrong thread, buddy. Nowhere in this thread did you mention that.   

Regarding your statement that "the default retangle is not a typical footing";  I can only tell you that it has been "typical" for thousands of years here on earth.  And, since we earthlings cannot magically conjure them up out of thin air, we build forms.   

Na-Nu Na-Nu, buddy.  

Message 8 of 11
RDAOU

@yes_and_no 

How long does it take you to model a foundation or start a new profile family, model the shape you desire, load into the project and use in a slab edge? For sure less than the time everyone has wasted replying to this post!

Graphics?! Same like any other rrevit element via Materials,Visibility Graphics (manual overrides, filter overrides...etc), Object styles for defaults. You are simply not trying...

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 9 of 11
yes_and_no
in reply to: RDAOU

You are a quick thinker, I give you that. The downside is presumptuous, as a de-facto. You didn't read the question carefully:

- the profile type had visibility obstacles, which of course I tried.

It also only attached to floor edge.

- the foundation type has no visibility issue, yet not allow to modify shape (not dimensions), but attached to wall edge (which makes sense structurally).

- I don't have a Rv structural suite, hence asking for family (why reinvent the wheel ?)

- Lastly, I have learned a lot about Rv from people here, including you, but not all of them presumptuously judging others like you. Talking about profile visibility, can you prove turning it black in section view ? I ll buy you a drink.

Message 10 of 11
RDAOU

@yes_and_no 

Presumptuous? Presumptuous how?? Maybe you mean straightforward? 

Your original post consists of 54 words with a request for someone to send you some r17 collaborative families 2 Questions...

• 1st on slab edge graphics (Answer: Given in previous replies)
  • 2nd how to change shape (Answer: Change profile also given in previous replies)

Note: Content Libraries of all suits since 2014 are more or less the same 

RDAOU_0-1635268197088.png

When you ask for help, you need to learn how to accept it no matter how simple the reply/solution turns out to be. Simple question simple answer... The ongoing spinning, twisting, turning and gymnastics  doesn't really change the fact that one easy basic solution simply slipped your mind 🙂 

Message 11 of 11
ToanDN

@yes_and_no wrote:

- the profile type had visibility obstacles, which of course I tried. It also only attached to floor edge.

The slab edge you show is halftoned for because it is set to halftoned in your project, not because it is a profile based slab edge per se.  I just showed you a screenshot of a slab edge in my project and it is not halftoned.  If you can't figured out why it is halftoned then share the model here or we just throw a number of reasons for you to try, which is a waste of time for everybody.

- the foundation type has no visibility issue, yet not allow to modify shape (not dimensions), but attached to wall edge (which makes sense structurally).

Wall foundation only comes in rectangular shape.  While it is common for spread footing I can understand it is not the only shape.  So if you want a different shape then create your own using a variety of modeling tools you have: wall sweeps, model in place sweeps, extrusions, swept blends, foundation slab, floor with modified subelements).

- I don't have a Rv structural suite, hence asking for family (why reinvent the wheel ?)

There are no families to give because both wall spread footing and slab edge are system components.  Best you can get is a profile family for the slab edge but you can just draw one yourself.  It is just lines.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report