Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slab edge on sloped slab gives error "can't cut joined element

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
mjmcdoDPLV5
1384 Views, 12 Replies

Slab edge on sloped slab gives error "can't cut joined element

i created a 5" thick slab and a 2'x2' footing with a chamfer. 

i slope the slab and then try to add the edge. it doesn't add on the sloped sides.

i flatten the slab and add the edge to all sides. then i attempt to add slope using slope arrow. get can't cut joined elements

i flatten slab and add edges, join geometry, attempt to add slope, same error

i flatten slab, add edges, slope slab, get error, finish, then attempt to join geometry, get same error..

how can this work? it seems like it should be simple....

Tags (3)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
martijn_pater
in reply to: mjmcdoDPLV5

You can always model the edge in-place.

Message 3 of 13
barthbradley

That is typical behavior.  

Slab Edge Profile place on Sloped Slab via In-Place Component Sweep:

Slab edge.png

Message 4 of 13
RDAOU

You can place the Slab Edge on a sloped slab...First place the edge Then edit the slab and add the desired slope to it.

Slab edge on sloped floor slab.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 5 of 13
mjmcdoDPLV5
in reply to: RDAOU

if i only put on sloped sides it works. it doesn't work when you put on all four sides.

Message 6 of 13
RDAOU

Works on all 4 sides … I'm using 2020.2

Slab edge on sloped floor slab 2.pngSlab edge on sloped floor slab 3.png

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 7 of 13
barthbradley

HEY @RDAOU !  Long time, no see!  How's it hanging?  

...regarding the resulting slab edge by doing the way you are; it's not contiguous to the bottom of the slab.  It might be "close enough", but I don't know why, by now, Revit can't get it "dead on ballz accurate" -- especially since doing it as an In-Place sweep using the same Profile is DOBA.    

Message 8 of 13
mjmcdoDPLV5
in reply to: barthbradley

it works as an in-place sweep. it doesn't work as  a slab edge with a 2'x2' chamfered  profile

Message 9 of 13
ToanDN

@barthbradley wrote:

HEY @RDAOU !  Long time, no see!  How's it hanging?  

...regarding the resulting slab edge by doing the way you are; it's not contiguous to the bottom of the slab.  It might be "close enough", but I don't know why, by now, Revit can't get it "dead on ballz accurate" -- especially since doing it as an In-Place sweep using the same Profile is DOBA.    

Because the in place approach creates a single sweep geometry and the slab edge approach creates 4 pieces (I see them more of swept blends than sweeps).

Message 10 of 13
ToanDN

Here is as clean as I can get using slab edges.

Annotation 2019-12-13 104556.png

Message 11 of 13
RDAOU

Hey @barthbradley  @ToanDN 🙂

Hey Barth/T

In-place sweeps and blends are heavy and tedious...I would rather go with a slab edge (better a roof element with facia) and set a different profile at the highest and lowest edge of the slab/roof to compensate the slope.

Message 12 of 13
RDAOU
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN  it should be seamless …  tweak the profile by adding an angle parameter and u get the result below

works for both "floor with slab edge" or "roof with facia"

Edge Roof or Slab 2.png

Message 13 of 13
martijn_pater

I still prefer an in-place sweep for accuracy, the example above is a workaround also. But I suppose you are right that it also depends on the number of edges in the project.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report