Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skylight tag position issue

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bartek.calka
689 Views, 6 Replies

Skylight tag position issue

Hallo All!

I'm fighting with tags placement. Is there a way to force skylight tag to place it in the center of the skylight? I was convinced that the intersection of origin reference planes indicates the tag placement - it appears that it does not work this way... unfortunately. Or maybe I'm missing something?

In the skylight family I have set the reference planes which intersect in the center as origin. Facts:

• It cause that the leader of skylight tag follow the origin reference plane intersection - so it does mark the center of the skylight. Nevertheless when the leader is turned off the tag itself remain in the previous position (does not move into the center of skylight)
  • The same happens when I put the tag with the leader turned off primarily = The skylight tag does not appear in the center of the skylight - it appears above, quite like if the origin reference plane was placed on the edge of the skylight instead in the middle of it.
  • The only situation I've noticed works fine is when I had truly the origin reference plane placed on the edge of skylight, uploaded to the project, tagged it (the tag appeared near the skylight edge), and then uploaded a changed skylight family with the origin reference plane placed in the center - it caused that the tag previosly added in the project automatically moved into the center of skylight. But doing it like this is rather silly.

Do I need to agree with Revit (logicless) limitations, or am I doing something wrong? The issue is to have a leaderless skylight tag placed in the center of the skylight. Any ideas?

Kind regards!

Bartek

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
FGPerraudin
in reply to: bartek.calka

I opened it and couldn't work out the issue either...

As a temporary solution, you could always create a TAG that has a different origin...

François-gabriel

Francois-Gabriel Perraudin
BIM management and coaching

Message 3 of 7
bartek.calka
in reply to: FGPerraudin

Thank You for suggestion. By a tag with "different origin" You meant a tag with a label origin offset in it? I could create one, bu:

• the label and origin offset is a fixed value (uncontrolled),
  • the skylights would have various dimensions
  • changing drawing scale would move the label instantly...

So to have a tag precisely in the center of the skylight I would need to create as many window tag families as many skylight dimensions types would occur, and multiplied with number of drawing scales I were up to use in a project..

Or did You meant something else?

Bartek

Message 4 of 7
Sahay_R

@bartek.calka you are right, you don't want to do that.

How about giving the label an offset (as @FGPerraudin suggested) and control this by a distance parameter? Adding an invisible line to the label text and grouping them would allow you to control the position. When you drop the tag in place, go into Edit and change the value of the parameter. Definitely beats having to move tags individually, or create bazagazillion tags for each skylight.

Capture.PNG

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 5 of 7
ToanDN

Window category always hosts Window Tag outside of the Exterior face on Plan view.  That's for the Tags not overlapping the Windows when placed without a leader.  So, skylights under Window category inherit this behavior and that's what you are experiencing.  If you can change the skylight family to any other category (Door, Generic Model, etc...), the Tag will be placed on the center.

Capture.PNG

Message 6 of 7
bartek.calka
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank You @ToanDN, it explains a lot:)

So it's a bit workaround, but I think nothing better can be done. I'v...

• uploaded the skylight family to a new GENERIC MODEL roof based family,
  • created a GENERCI MODEL tag

...and it works fine. See attachement.

Bartek

Message 7 of 7

Adding an invisible line to the text of the label and grouping them will allow you to control the position. When you leave the tag in place, go to Edit and change the parameter value. If you wanna know how to measure skylight see here: https://rvprofy.com/how-to-measure-rv-skylight/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report