Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing Revit models with contractors

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
ysm
Participant
3791 Views, 13 Replies

Sharing Revit models with contractors

we're starting to get requests to share our architectural models with subcontractors to prepare shop drawings.  what's the best / most efficient way to clean a model of proprietary content and other things we don't want anyone abusing?  Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
ToanDN
in reply to: ysm

A good contract.

Message 3 of 14
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN: ROTFL! Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 14
MostafaElashmawy

Firstly,you should purge all unused items.

Secondly, rename families and types with appropriate names describing the material/shape and size and abbreviation of your company name.

Thirdly, Remove any sheets that are not used in submitted packages or at least make sheet group for  submitted drawings and another group for drafts.

Next,Remove any temporary schedules.

then Sort and group the views and remove any unnecessary views.

Finally, make a drafting view and put your company logo there and some copyrights statements.

To sum, Focus on the project browser.

Mostafa Elashmawy
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 14

Isn't this about liability? @ToanDN is absolutely right on; this is governed by the contractual agreements between all the parties involved. Seek the advice of counsel on this. Otherwise, throw caution to the wind and give them everything you got to build their work upon. Then they can point the finger at you when they're work is flawed. It will likely hold up in court too. 

Message 6 of 14
payam.rad

I'll let you figure out three contract part of things! But as far as sending a model out to the client, we've been using eTransmit add-in. It works very well and it's free!
I know it works with revit 2016 and 2017. I have not tried it on 2018. Try it here:
https://apps.autodesk.com/RVT/en/Detail/Index?id=5083923064113115798&appLang=en&os=Win64
Message 7 of 14
ysm
Participant

Thanks for the advice, but we've worked out the what and why.  What i'm after is how, a macro or plug-in that will help to clear sensitive objects from the model file without spending half a day chasing them down one by one.  Any ideas?

Message 8 of 14
payam.rad

your answer is three free plug in I noted above. Give it a try.
Message 9 of 14
payam.rad

Is the* free...
Message 10 of 14
barthbradley

@ysm wrote:

Thanks for the advice, but we've worked out the what and why.  What i'm after is how, a macro or plug-in that will help to clear sensitive objects from the model file without spending half a day chasing them down one by one.  Any ideas?

I'm confused. Are you asking for a plug-in the will intuitively recognize and remove "proprietary" content in your transmittal?  

Message 11 of 14
ToanDN

@ysm wrote:

What sorts of sensitive objects or information are you talking about?

Message 12 of 14
ysm
Participant

Follow up - we were able to use Dynamo to custom program a macro that collects whatever we put in the list and remove it from the file, as well as executing various purges. it seems to work perfectly.

Message 13 of 14
jriverarbbinc

Our office policy is to remove all proprietary information from the Revit model when sharing the model with the contractor or for any purpose other than consultant coordination. We run a Dynamo Script  (ModelCleanup) to remove All Views, Sheets, Unused Families, Schedules and Links.

Message 14 of 14
HVAC-Novice

Define proprietary content. Every loadable and system family I use is edited by me to some degree. The entire building and systems are proprietary since I myself made or combined the elements in the model. If I take out everything proprietary, I only can give them the oob template I started with many years ago (and that technically belongs to Autodesk).

You should define UPFRONT what are deliverables to the owner (the ones paying you) and to contractors (the ones hired by owner in most cases). Make sure what is legally binding if you share the model. In my case, the PDF plans and specifications are the basis for the contract. Any Revit file would just be for informational purposes. 

I don't know if exporting to IFC or some other method makes this easier. But you still are giving them your design, even with less information. 

Revit version: R2025.2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report