Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared parameteres in nested family

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mairh_tsek
654 Views, 5 Replies

Shared parameteres in nested family

Hello all,

I crated a family with some shared instance parameters (Family A) . I insered the A in a Familly B. 

After I load the family B in the project but when I select the element I cannot see the parameters in the properties.

Why?

Thank you! 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Ilic.Andrej
in reply to: mairh_tsek

First understand the difference between a shared and a non-shared nested family. The shared family is loaded into the project along with the host family. Picture having a door knob as a shared nested object into the door family. Since it is shared, you can change its type any time while working in the project and the door family will update accordingly.

Here's how it works:

OPTION 1: The nested family is not shared

You cant control the nested family directly while working in the project. The only thing that can control the nested family is the host family. And to do that, you need to constrain the nested family parameters with the use of the host family parameters.

OPTION 2: The nested family is shared

While hovering the host family in the project, just hit "tab" and you will be able to select the nested shared family. Do with it whatever you want.

Andrej Ilić

phonetical: ændreɪ ilich
MSc Arch

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 3 of 6
mairh_tsek
in reply to: Ilic.Andrej

I did the family shared but the shared instance parameters are grey out in the project.

I would like to be able to control these parameters inside the project.

Thank you !

Message 4 of 6
Ilic.Andrej

@mairh_tsek wrote:

I did the family shared but the shared instance parameters are grey out in the project.

Thank you !

You cant control instance parameters of the shared nested family in the project. You can control type parameters.

If you want those parameters to be instance, then you re gonna have to do that other approach (the situation where the nested family is not shared. Its instance parameters are constrained by the type parameters OR instance parameters of the host family)

Andrej Ilić

phonetical: ændreɪ ilich
MSc Arch

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 5 of 6
Secttor

@mairh_tsek - in order to have access to nested family (shared) parameters values in the project you have to link them to parameters in the host family. So..basically, you have shared parameters (as instance) in the host family linked with the parameters from the nested one. Easy!

Revit MEP - Electrical Certified Professional
Revit MEP - Mechanical Certified Professional

Draftworks.wordpress.com
Message 6 of 6
mairh_tsek
in reply to: Secttor

Thank you for the information! 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report