Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select By ID can't find View

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
info
984 Views, 11 Replies

Select By ID can't find View

Hi,

I'm sure there must be an existing post on this;

But I can't find an element - in this case a spot elevation when I search for it "Select By ID" I can't find a suitable View?

I've had this problem many times before. But I don't know why an element has an ID that can't be located to view. 

Is Revit telling saying this item does not exist in project file any longer? 

My apologies in advance, but I can't share the project file .

This ID came up when I changed something saying this element will be deleted if I proceed.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
barthbradley
in reply to: info

Got Design Options?  

Message 3 of 12
info

Yes.

Message 4 of 12
barthbradley

What do you mean by "Yes"? 

I was suggesting that the Element you can't find might be inside a Design Option. Aren't you having trouble locating an Element by ID?  

Message 5 of 12
info
in reply to: barthbradley

Sorry, No I don't have any design options.

I thought you meant something else. 

Message 6 of 12
info

It's ok if I don't find this particular element

I'm more interested for future reference - when I can't view an element when I do an ID search - what's actually happening or how do I locate it? 

I've deleted it already even though I couldn't find it - it's probably redundant anyway.

Message 7 of 12
hmunsell

just curious, did you have any views in the project browser where you Know that element was displayed in? I have had that happen before but it was because there were not views in the project browser that showed the element. 

Howard Munsell
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
ToanDN

Everything in Revit has an ID, regardless of it is being physically placed in a view.  A Spot Elevation Type without any instance placed still has its own ID.  You can download Revit Lookup add-in and find out what it is.

https://github.com/jeremytammik/RevitLookup/releases/tag/2023.1.0

ToanDN_0-1668797592497.png

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
barthbradley

There is one thing to note about element IDs – while they are unique, they are not set in stone. Copying models, saving as, worksharing and syncing, all of these every day activities can force an element’s ID to change so you can’t just get a list of all the element IDs and expect it to be the same list. 

Message 10 of 12
info
in reply to: hmunsell

Sorry for late reply,

No, I'm unsure where this particular element is.

This is a collaborative model. So maybe I didn't add the element in question. 

I find your post interesting- that this has never happened to you.. Because this happens to me all the time - I would say 50% of elements I search for I can't find... 

Message 11 of 12
info
in reply to: ToanDN

Thank- you ToanDN as always for your insight.

I will look-into the "add-in" you mentioned, and let you know how I go.  

Message 12 of 12
info
in reply to: barthbradley

Hi barthbradley,

I was not aware of that.

Although I said this project is Collaborative, we are not yet using Revit Workshare capabilities through BIM 360, so I don't think this is happening is the case. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators