Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section not showing inside elements

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2328 Views, 6 Replies

Section not showing inside elements

Hey,

So I'm trying to make a section show the shelving/millwork of a credenza and I'm not getting any of the inner details. I'm referring the two left drawings on the attachment. Am I placing my sction line incorrectly? This worked once before with a cabinet section I did so I'm not sure what's going on now.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

I Would hazard a guess that it's the way the family is created and the detail level of your view.

In the family itself, is there any visibility control set to the elements, i.e, the geomenty might not show at a course scale, or not at all, and inner linework(if it exists) might not show at a course scale. This is controlled in the visibility settings in the family editor. 

What is the detail level of your view?

Another reason that it might be is that, if it is linework that is showing in your section and not geometry, the sub-category object style could be hidden in the view.

Feel free to upload the family if none of this helps.

Regards,

Paul.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks for the response! It's set to Fine detail, oddly enough. The credenza itself is just the generic Revit model. I'm so stumped haha

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

OK, So...

Your family category is actually set as a Furniture Family. This is one of the non-cuttable familys in revit.

These families are non cuttable and are always shown in projection in views.

• Balusters
  • Detail Items
  • Electrical Equipment
  • Electrical Fixtures
  • Entourage
  • Furniture
  • Furniture Systems
  • Lighting Fixtures
  • Mechanical Equipment
  • Parking
  • Planting
  • Plumbing Fixtures
  • Specialty Equipment

If you change the family category to generic model, and load it back in it should now cut the geometry. Altho this is probably not ideal, maybe you can create a furniture object style in generic model to control them.

or i guess the other alternative is to draw symbloic lines in section to represent the panels but this could be painful.

Anyway hope this helps.

Paul.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Wow, I didn't even realize. This is embarrassing but I'm a relatively new user -- how do I change the family category to a generic model?

Thank you so much!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

If you open your project, select the family and then click the edit family icon.

When in the family editor, in the properties tab, click the icon with the folder. you can then select a different category for the family. you can then load this back into your project.

Capture1.PNG

hope this helps.

Paul.

Message 7 of 7
chrisplyler

It's quite possible that - even after you get this family to cut by switching its category - you will find it does not even have any interior details. I didn't open it up to check, but a lot of out-of-the-box families are modeled very simply, such as just one big rectangular extrusion for the main body, and smaller extrusions for the legs and doors, and that's all.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report