Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule Organisation Issue

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
4023 Views, 22 Replies

Schedule Organisation Issue

Hi,

I am just putting a few schedules together in our Revit templates and have come across an ordering issue when I try and sort them by Associated Level.

So I have created a View schedule with two sorting actions the first is the family (header is ticked also), then the associated level (ascending). The schedule does not put the levels in order correctly. (see below screen shoot)

View Schedule Issue.png

Has anyone else come across this and if so how did you get around it?

Thanks

Gareth

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
ToanDN
in reply to: Anonymous

The levels correctly sorted based on the ascending order.  If you want them sorted by elevations of the levels then add prefix to the level name.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: ToanDN

If you look at the project browser they are ordered by Associated Level in ascending order. Which is correct. 

I have set the schedule up in the same way apart from including it to sort by family first. So it should order them by level in ascending order but it does not. Even if I remove the sort by family, it still does not work. 

You don't have the option to add levels to the view schedule I could do this add an extra parameter to help control this. Which is going to create more work and I do not have the time to do that.

Message 4 of 23
chrisplyler

In a schedule, they sort ALPHABETICALLY by the name of the Level, not by their elevation value.

Message 5 of 23
barthbradley

Wouldn't just sorting them by Elevation put then in the correct order? 

Message 6 of 23
ToanDN
in reply to: barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

Wouldn't just sorting them by Elevation put then in the correct order? 

It would if the Elevation parameter were available for View schedules.

@Anonymous  below is what I meant by adding prefix for sorting

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 23
Sahay_R

In the template - can a Shared Parameter be added to views - elevation value entered - and then schedule sorted by that Shared Parameter? At this point I think this could be the only way to achieve what the OP wants.

@barthbradley - yes, you're right, it should be Project Parameter..... I'm SO ready for the weekend!!

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 8 of 23
barthbradley
in reply to: Sahay_R

You mean Project Parameter, @Sahay_R

Sort by "Altitude"...a PP? 

..."Altitude"= the elevation Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 23
barthbradley
in reply to: barthbradley

Yes @Sahay_R, and then the OP can just enter a value inside the schedule. 

Message 10 of 23
Sahay_R

Not inside the schedule- in the properties of the view.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 11 of 23
barthbradley

What I was talking about was adding a project parameter to all the sheets from within the schedule, and then placing a value for that parameter directly into the parameter field through the schedule - not by opening each view and assigning one to it. 

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous

It does appear that out the box you Revit won't order them by level correctly. 

@Sahay_R mentioned I could add a parameter in but I do not wish to add a further step for users to do. This is only going to create much more work. 

Message 13 of 23
Sahay_R

Rename the levels - as the elevation height OR at least begin the level name with the elevation height - of course, if this is acceptable by your office standards. Revit will prompt you to ask if the views should be renamed accordingly - don't accept the prompt.

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite

Message 14 of 23
Alfredo_Medina

@Anonymous  How can Revit sort the levels in the order that you expect by just their names? The name is text data, not numeric data. Therefore, Revit will sort those names in alphabetical order, as it has been mentioned above.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

@Sahay_R I can't rename the levels. They are named to match our standards, which needs to be consistent across all projects and models.

@Alfredo_Medina I am not ordering them by the names, it is by the associated level as noted above. Starting from the foundation level, basement, ground, first, etc. If Revit is to order the levels by the level position (as shown in attached image) on which they are drawn it should order them correctly. 

Level Order_001.png

Message 16 of 23
ToanDN

@Anonymous wrote:

If Revit is to order the levels by the level position (as shown in attached image) on which they are drawn it should order them correctly. 

I wish they could be ordered by elevation value but alas.  I always add a number prefix in the level name so they sort properly but I can understand you must stay with your office standards.  I suggest you submit an idea to Autodesk, see the link in my signature.

Message 17 of 23
Alfredo_Medina

Yes, but "Associated Level" is text data, not numeric data, so Revit is sorting those names correctly. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous

I will be submitting an idea, but if it orders the project browser by levels as drawn. Surely it would do the same in schedules.
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

If its by text data why has it ordered the levels correctly in the project browser?
Message 20 of 23
Alfredo_Medina

For a schedule of views, Associated Level is text data, just the name of the level. For Browser Organization, Associated Level is actually "Level", the elevation numeric value. Inconsistent? Yes, it is. Your browser organization is sorting by Type of  View, then by Associated Level. Notice in the Browser Organization Properties that the options for using characters is disabled (highlighted in this image), therefore Revit is using the numeric value.

2018-01-29_12-16-54.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report