Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sash window family - extend head and sills so they are parametric

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
fortywebs
996 Views, 5 Replies

sash window family - extend head and sills so they are parametric

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction to create new reference lines 100mm away from the window jamb that the head and sill will lock to? I have made what I thought was the solution but its not parametric. I need to be able to type in any width and the head and sill always extend 100. I can draw a reference line in the family, but how do I add the dimension 100mm that tells the reference line to stay at 100, and lock the end of the extrude to it?

I am using a family that came from the revit library.

Thanks.

fortywebs_0-1588072777002.png

fortywebs_1-1588072802368.png

fortywebs_2-1588072831791.png

fortywebs_3-1588072858677.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Reference Planes , not Reference Lines. You will use Reference Lines only when you'll need Angle Parameters ( as Rotation) otherwise use Reference Planes. In fact they are so in your drawings.

So, create two parallel Reference Planes. Only one of them is connected to Window Parameter(sill height or whatever you need) the second one is connected to the first by a Locked Dimension  (draw the second Reference Plane at a distance of 100 from the first one, put Dimension and Lock the Dimension value). When stretching the object (parametrically) the second Reference , being locked will follow the first keeping the constant distance.

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 6

Thanks Constantin,

Managed to get that to work eventually!

fortywebs_1-1588089966843.png

Minor point, but is it possible to get revit to draw the lines where the sill meets the wall face?

fortywebs_2-1588090016174.png

fortywebs_3-1588090275139.png

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: fortywebs

Looks like your Trim is penetrating the Host Wall.  Is this by design?  If so, Copy Paste Aligned to the Same Place the existing Trim, change it from a Solid to a Void and then Edit it to Align and Lock its Sketch boundary linework to the solid Trim edges.  Leave the Void Trim UNATTACHED (e.g. orange) and check "Cuts with Void when Loaded".  Reload into Project and now use the Cut Geometry tool to Cut the Host Wall with the Family's Void Trim.  

If it isn't by design, then Align and Lock the Trim Extrusion to the FACE of the Host Wall in the Family.  

Message 5 of 6
fortywebs
in reply to: barthbradley

Thanks @barthbradley,

I would like these to work with any wall thickness, so I don't want to trim the back of the sill just yet. I thought revit might know where the intersection is and draw the lines for me. It's doing the same on the roof with the chimneys. The revit window is not sitting where I would like, in relation to the outer face of the wall, and I'm going to tackle that later because it looks complicated. If I could get the outer face of the window frame to sit behind the outer leaf of brickwork (like a real sash window) then I'd be happy to trim the back of the sill and create the lines you suggest. Because i'm going to try moving the whole window inwards this will probably move the sill as well. Thanks for your detailed instructions - I will give it a go.

Message 6 of 6

To create new reference lines 100mm away from the window jamb that the head and sill will lock to in a parametric manner, follow these steps: In the family editor, draw a reference line at the desired location, parallel to the window jamb. Select the reference line and click on the "Label" or "Dimensions" tool to add a dimension. Place the dimension aligned with the reference line, and set its value to 100mm. In the properties or options of the dimension, ensure that it is set to be a "Reporting" or "Instance" parameter. This allows you to enter any width and have the head and sill extend 100mm accordingly. Next, select the head and sill elements and constrain them to the ends of the reference line using appropriate constraints like "Lock" or "Align." By adding the 100mm dimension to the reference line and making it a parameter, you can easily adjust the width of the window and have the head and sill extend by 100mm accordingly.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report