Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S-Bend Beam Meeting at Tangents

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
rsmarrelli
425 Views, 4 Replies

S-Bend Beam Meeting at Tangents

I'm trying to make a beam that follows this curve:

This curve is sketched on a work plane defined by a grid line. The beam goes on the same plane with a slight Yoffset.This curve is sketched on a work plane defined by a grid line. The beam goes on the same plane with a slight Yoffset.

So, I get out the beam tool, I choose the "pick lines" drawing option, and I click on one of the curves. I get this:

Screen2.png

So far so good. That's exactly what I expect to happen. We have half of the curve down, so I click on the other half and this happens:

Screen4.png

Why on Earth would Revit assume that this is what I want to do? If I select either beam it has the audacity to tell me that the extension/cutback is zero on both ends. It's just decided to draw the beams on some imaginary curve other than the one that I picked. And no, there are no other curves that could have been selected by mistake. Certainly none that would make this result make sense.

If I try to draw the beams using the other draw tools the same thing happens. If I try to move the shape handles to get closer to what I indended, I can't actually snap to the tangent point between the two arcs. When I try to eyeball it, I get this:

Screen7.png

It's not snapped to the tangent point, and I can't make the edges of the beams join up despite the fact that the curves themselves are tangent to each other.

So, how do I go about just making a beam based on that original curve in the first screenshot?

Labels (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
barthbradley
in reply to: rsmarrelli

What's that green line?  Are you sure the Beam is actually following that line? 

Why not sketch the Beam with Spline?  

Message 3 of 5
barthbradley

Edit Beam/Column Join?   

beam.png

Beam2.png

Beam3.png

Message 4 of 5
rsmarrelli
in reply to: barthbradley

So, this is embarrassing, but my actual problem was that the model lines I based it on were imperceptibly off-tangent. It all worked once I fixed that.

Now, this still doesn't explain why Revit makes the assumption that I want to curve the beams in the opposite direction, and your suggestion about beam/column joins may address that, but I don't really have time to experiment with it.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions.

Message 5 of 5
barthbradley

I think you may have an easier go of it by doing the Beams outside of Group Edit Mode and Adding them to the Group afterwards.  

BTW: Beams have a direction. That's in their DNA, so to speak.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators