Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate Roof Curtain Wall Panel Along Y Axis

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
a00812364
2764 Views, 6 Replies

Rotate Roof Curtain Wall Panel Along Y Axis

Hello hello,

Families are hard (both in Revit and in real life).

I am looking to create a curtain wall panel so that it rotates along the Y-axis.

Context:

Thanks to Youtube, this video goes over how to create a curtain wall panel that rotates along the X-axis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvS0WOr6n0

Attempt:

I tried replicating these steps in the 'Left' elevation so that it would rotate at the midpoint of the Height.

Am stuck when trying to edit the reporting parameter formula in Family Types so that H (Panel Height) is 'Height / 2'

The error that comes up is 'A reporting parameter can be used in a formula only if its dimension references are all to host elements in the family.'

Attempt Steps:

Setting up the Y-Axis Origin

1. Start New Family - Curtain Wall Panel
  2. Elevation 'Left'
  3. Create Reference Plane between 'Top' and 'Bottom' called 'Center'
    1. Name as 'Center (Top/Bottom) 
    2. Is Reference set to 'Not a Reference'
    3. Defines Origin set to 'check'
  4. Dimension lines from Top-Center, Center-Bottom; set to EQ

Panel Reference

1. Draw Reference Line from intersection of 'Center (Front/Back)' and 'Center (Top/Bottom)', to anywhere
  2. Anchor the Reference Line (ALign RL to RP 'Center (Front/Back)' and 'Center (Top/Bottom)')
  3. Create Angle Parameter
    1. Dimension line (angular) RL to RP 'Center (Top/Bottom)'
    2. Select dimension, Create Parameter
    3. Label parameter 'Angle'
    4. Set to Instance
  4. Create Height Parameter
    1. Dimension line RP 'Top' to RP 'Bottom'
    3. Label parameter 'Height'
    4. Set to Instance
    5. Reporting Parameter check
  5. Create H Parameter
    1. Dimension line RL for Panel
    3. Label parameter 'H'
    4. Set to Instance
  6. Family Types Formula (Unable to OK due to reporting parameter error)
    1. Input 'Height / 2' in Formula for 'H (default)'

Create Panel

1. Create the Panel by Extrusion
  2. Create Thickness Parameter
  3. Set Panel Height to equal dimension between 'Top' and 'Bottom'

Attachments:

Curtain wall panel shown rotating along x-axis; 

I'd like for this curtain wall panel to rotate along the y-axis.

Assumptions:

I'm guessing I'm creating RP 'Center (Top/Bottom)' incorrectly.

Probably creating the RP not as a 'host element', but I'm not sure what to do to fix the problem.

Any direction would be appreciated, thanks everyone!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToanDN
in reply to: a00812364

Draw the extrusion side way instead of top down if what shows below is what you need.

Capture.PNG

Message 3 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

Create the extrusion for the panel in a generic model, work-plane based family, with instance parameters for its three dimensions. Nest this family into a curtain panel family. Host the generic model family on a reference line created in the curtain panel family, whose rotation is controlled by a instance parameter. Then associate the length parameters of the generic model family to equivalent length reporting parameters in the curtain panel family. Once the curtain panel family is loaded into a project and assigned to a curtain wall, the user will be able to set a rotation angle to each panel.

2018-03-05_18-57-34.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 7
a00812364

Hi Toan, Alfredo,

Thanks for replying, but if you could go over how I could rotate the curtain wall panel on the Y-axis that would be appreciated!

When I try to replicate the steps that rotate the panel along the Y-axis, I get the error

'A reporting parameter can be used in a formula only if its dimension references are all to host elements in the family.'

I've only a basic knowledge of families, so any videos, screenshots, screencasts would be swell.

I tried to be as clear as I could in my first post, I have failed it seems 😛

Message 5 of 7
ToanDN

First, can you answer the question I asked in the first reply.

Message 6 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

I think my previous reply does describe how to do this. But writing all the steps one by one or making a video takes time, you know.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 7
a00812364

Hello,

Yes, the image Toan drew is correct. I am hoping to turn the panel along the Y-axis.

I am hoping to make it so that I can input parameters to adjust the angles, but when I try to do the same steps that allow me to adjust a rotation on the x-axis it gives me the error above.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report