Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof - profile very difficult.

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
antoniocastagnella.arch
775 Views, 14 Replies

Roof - profile very difficult.

Photo.jpga.jpg

Hi All,

I'm working about a building that has a particular type of roof (you can see it on the photo), I have managed to design almost all of parts, but I can't do the final section (the red solid that you can see on Autocad file).

I would like to design on Revit the same solid that I have designed on Autocad.

Can you help me, please?

Thank you so much.

Bye.

Antonio

P.s.

Please, to understand as I have worked, check the Revit file.

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Seems like an odd piece. Two possible routes I would take.

-Create a (generic) family for this element.

-Adjust the floor slab, add your fascia and if needed use a void to cut the angle.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 15

Very difficult challenge. I spent way more time than I should have trying to figure it out. You have got a lot going on with this one little piece. Even modeling it has a separate is going to involve some gymnastics. I think it's going to need to be "sculpted" by subtracting geometry, but I can get close by using a Sweep-Blend.  

BTW, don't you have problems working with your model in this orientation? I certainly did. 

Good Luck. Post your finished product. I'd like to see what you come up with. 

Message 4 of 15

There is a proposal for solution for this, already, in "the other thread". That's why users should not post the same question twice. 

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 15

Something like this?

Capture.PNG

Message 6 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

@Alfredo_Medina

I think his question is about a specific portion of the roof, not how to create the inverse sloped edges in general.

Nice tutorial on the slab edge approach you have shown in the other thread, by the way.

Message 7 of 15
barthbradley
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN would you mind posting your rvt file for this. I'd like to see how you dealt with the interior condition (behind the fascia).

If I'm reading your image right, I'm betting that you used the same approach I did initially.

Modified flat roof to bring it forward a bit; squaring it off so I could wrap the corner with the existing fascia, and extend to end point abutment. Then I created a mass from the underside face of the fascia, and applied a Roof by Mass Face to it.  Then I extended the angled wall (Attach Top/Base) to this Roof by Mass Face. The end result looked good from the outside, but not so good on the backside. 

Message 8 of 15
ToanDN
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley

Here's go.  I didn't have to create a mass/roof to attach the angled wall, by the way.

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 15
ToanDN

I just looked at his photo more closely and I realized I didn't even need to break the roof edge to two segments with two different profiles.  I should have simply run the typical roof edge across and let it overlap the wall.  The red mark-up area in the sketch is different than the photo and misleading.

Capture.PNG

Message 10 of 15
barthbradley

Excellent Toan! I didn't catch that condition. Makes way more sense now. Good eye. Maybe I didn't catch it because I was slightly annoyed by awkward orientation of the building in Plan and 3-D views. Know what I mean? Maybe its me, but I prefer right angles in my views. Much less frustrating. HA!

Thanks,

Cheers!

Message 11 of 15

Hi,

Yes, sorry, there is the same question but the solution isn't appropriate.

Thank you.

Bye.

Antonio

Message 12 of 15

Yes! This is the right way!

Well done!!!!

Thank you.

Antonio

Message 13 of 15

Hi Toan,

You did an excellent work, well done.

You was very careful and meticulous.

Would you like to explain better as you did, please?

Thank you so much.

Best regards.

Antonio

Message 14 of 15

@antoniocastagnella.arch

Thanks for the kind words!

The steps below:

1. Edit footprint of the roof to get the correct location of the fascia.

Capture.PNG

2. Add fascia for the segment above the angled wall:

Capture1.PNG

3. Create a copy of the fascia profile and edit it so that it will setback to stay behind the wall.  Create a new fascia type using this profile.  Add a fascia of the new type to the segment behind the wall.  Join the adjacent fascias so they look clean.

Capture3.PNG

4. Add a roof to cover the left over area and join it to the main roof.  No fascia here.  

Capture2.PNG

5. Cut a section across the roof boundary line.

Capture4.PNG

6. Go to the section and draw a Reference Plane by picking sloped bottom of the fascia.  From the same view, select the angled wall and Attach its top to the Reference Plane.

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG

Message 15 of 15
barthbradley

ToanDN wrote: Go to the section and draw a Reference Plane by picking sloped bottom of the fascia.  From the same view, select the angled wall and Attach its top to the Reference Plane.

BTW Toan: I must say, the use of a Ref. Plane to facilitate the wall attachment, was quite a nice touch. A much keener solution the one I came up with (e.g. creating a Roof by Mass Face from underside of fascia).

Take a bow, my man. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report