Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof exposed ceiling beams

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2190 Views, 5 Replies

Roof exposed ceiling beams

Hi All!

I was wondering if others had suggestions on how to most efficiently draw up the roof/beam system that is pictured in the photo? I am drafting up plans for an addition, and  when I went to do the roof (as I have in the past many times) with the ‘roof’ command by ‘foot print’, it gives odd roof lines. Thinking I need to do a beam and truss system or model in place? Insight and suggestions greatly appreciated.

thank you,

sp 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
barthbradley
in reply to: Anonymous

I don't see anything here that would be particularly difficult to model. Show us a picture of what is happening at your end. 

This help:

a-Frame.png

Message 3 of 6
Redrunner92

If your resulting roof is getting a non-centered ridge or a similarly offset shape, it could be that you used a combination of the Pick Lines tool and the Pick Walls tool when you sketched the roof. These two use their offset properties differently. The former places the reference level of its lines precisely at the specified height (which is the referenced level plus the offset value), while the latter places its lines reference levels at the top of the wall, with the Offset value bringing the eaves down below the tops of the walls. In other words, with Pick Lines used on a wall and with a 2-foot offset, the resulting eave's edge will be at the top level of the wall; whereas with Pick Walls used on a wall with a 2-foot offset, the resulting eave's edge would be a little lower than the top level of the wall (you can do the trig with the roof pitch to figure out how much lower if you wish).

Put simply, remember that Pick Lines and Pick Walls act differently, so use either one or the other in simple roofs like the one in your photo. Only combine them in special cases when a combination is specifically needed.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

This is what is happenig.... all the walls and roof height are the same. 

revit-roof.JPG

Message 5 of 6
Redrunner92

What do you desire to happen which is different than what is shown in your recent image?

Message 6 of 6
barthbradley

Remove all but one (1) "Defines Slope" from Left Side.  

Defines Slope.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report