Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit RFA - Show/Hide nested family question

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
roger.hick
1079 Views, 10 Replies

Revit RFA - Show/Hide nested family question

Hello - I am building a parametric family for an office desk system.  

The family has types defined by their dimension (i.e. 1600 x 800 desk or 1800 x 800 desk and so on).

Each desk size has an option to have a cable tray fitted - but the cable trays cannot be parametric due to the manufacturer's design, the trays are in two sizes with different cut-outs and no common features for a parametric work-around (a 1600 desk will have 1 long tray and 1 short tray - an 1800 desk with have 2 long trays and so on).

I have built nested families for each cable tray combination and I can control the cable tray visibility by yes/no parameters but it is possible to select the wrong tray option for a desk size.  

Is it possible to make a parameter so that a tray family can only be available for its correct type?

Many thanks

Revit_Tray_Q.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Sahay_R
in reply to: roger.hick

Create Types, with the correct Tray showing. No going wrong there!

Untitled.png

Rina Sahay
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Architecture Certified Professional

If you find my post interesting, feel free to give a Kudo.
If it solves your problem, please click Accept to enhance the Forum.
Message 3 of 11
ToanDN

@roger.hick

Aside from using visibility parameters to turn on/off certain keyboards for certain desk sizes, you can use Family Type parameters.  See attached.  Hit back if you need explanations.

Capture2.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 4 of 11
barthbradley

Why not add a conditional formula to the visibility parameter? Something along the lines of: if(desk=1600,1<2,1>2).

Also, I don’t see why your cable tray design cannot be parameterized. I looks doable from your screenshot. If you want to post the two cable tray families, I can show you. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

Building on @barthbradley, you can tie visibility of each nested family to a Yes/No parameter based on desk length. That way the appropriately sized cable tray will automatically show depending on desk length.

I personally prefer using a Family Type parameter as @ToanDN mentioned, but then you still have to assign each family per type because you can't mix parameter types within a formula.

parameter visibility.JPG

Message 6 of 11
roger.hick

Thanks all - I appreciate the help.

barthbradley - The trays are actually different.  I think your solution is easiest for me to work with.  If I am honest I don't know much about logical arguments in formulas - what does the 1<2/1>2 do? 

ToanDN - In you example do you set the label in the cable tray family at family level of add a label to the nested family at the desk family level?

Message 7 of 11
barthbradley

1<2 will force a check

1>2 will force an uncheck

See this link for additional info on formulas:

https://www.revitforum.org/tutorials-tips-tricks/1046-revit-formulas-everyday-usage.html 

Message 8 of 11
roger.hick

Thank you - 

Message 9 of 11
ToanDN

The labels are created under the desk family. Simply select tray 1 and add label from the option 3, then create kb1 label. Repeat for kb2. In fact, you only need a label for the tray that changes, so, only need kb2.

Message 10 of 11
ToanDN

@Anonymous

if(desk=1600,1<2,1>2)

You no longer need if, 1<2, 1>2. Formula: (desk = 1600) will yield the same result.
Message 11 of 11
roger.hick
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks all - problem solved

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report