Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit file-based worksharing over VPN

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ahowell7ESTX
332 Views, 2 Replies

Revit file-based worksharing over VPN

Hi folks,

I know various versions of this question have been asked over the years but I am hoping that a clear consensus has emerged! I am also aware of Autodesk's own recommendations/warnings about this. (https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Poor-per...).

Our architecture practice has two offices in different parts of the country, with a VPN connection allowing access to servers in both locations. We would like to start collaborating on Revit projects between offices. Do many people have real experience of doing file-based worksharing over a VPN, and is it workable? I have been pushing our office to use Revit Server instead, but the question keeps arising why we can't just use the VPN. So, does it work in reality, and does it work well?!

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
rxi.gg
in reply to: ahowell7ESTX

During the pandemic, we had that same system through VPN to share central models. The truth is that it gave us many problems of incompatibility of versions and permissions. Finally we opted to use BIM360, which in those months was free and worked great.

Roi G. | AUTODESK REVIT & DYNAMO EXPERT

Da un "Me gusta" si la respuesta te ha resultado útil y acéptala como solución si ha resuelto tu duda.
Give a "Like" if the answer has been useful to you and accept it as a solution if it has solved your doubt.

Message 3 of 3
RSomppi
in reply to: ahowell7ESTX

The issues and warnings from Autodesk are real. The performance hit can make VPN almost unusable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report