Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit family not honoring the visibility parameters when placing in a model

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
CS93X7Q
484 Views, 14 Replies

Revit family not honoring the visibility parameters when placing in a model

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have a family with several visibility parameters. When placing the family in a model, the visibility parameters are not correct. In other words, for one type, I have visibility 1 2 and 3 off and 4 on. But when placing it in the model, 1 2 and 3 are on and 4 is off, and it is not set that way with in the family, and if I edit the family from within the model, the parameters are set correctly. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
barthbradley
in reply to: CS93X7Q

Sounds like the Visibility Parameters are TYPE kind and you keep overriding them when reloading Family into Project.  Make them INSTANCE kind.  

...or post the Family here and we'll look at it.  

Message 3 of 15
CS93X7Q

No. They are instance. I am testing the family in a new file each time. So there is no reloading.

Message 4 of 15
barthbradley

I don't understand the issue then.  Post the Family so we can follow along.  Screenshots might help too.  

Message 5 of 15
barthbradley

Why don't you make them TYPE kind and create different Family Types with different settings for those Visibility Parameters? 

Message 6 of 15
CS93X7Q

I have those too. It is an exit sign. The type parameters work fine. I want to be able turn the arrows on and off after it is placed. The problem is, when first placing it, for some reason the first type on the list is not the default one that is placed. The first one that is placed is a wall mounted exit sign. But the arrows for the two sided exit sign appear, and I do not have it set that way in the family.

Message 7 of 15
barthbradley

Why don't you just load it into the Project Browser and then place the one you want from in the Project Browser?  

Message 8 of 15
CS93X7Q

I do, but the visibility instance parameters are not checked correctly, They are not the same as I set them in the family.

Message 9 of 15
barthbradley

Ha! Maybe it's me, but I'm having a real difficult time understanding what your issue is.

This is what I see in the Family:

SignFamily1.png

This is what I see in the Project: 

SignFamily2.png

What's wrong with those pictures? 

Message 10 of 15
CS93X7Q

It is working correct for you. When I place that one, I get the arrows for the wall mounted sign, they are farther out.

CS93X7Q_0-1669054157679.png

Message 11 of 15
ToanDN

@CS93X7Q wrote:

Hello, I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have a family with several visibility parameters. When placing the family in a model, the visibility parameters are not correct. In other words, for one type, I have visibility 1 2 and 3 off and 4 on. But when placing it in the model, 1 2 and 3 are on and 4 is off, and it is not set that way with in the family, and if I edit the family from within the model, the parameters are set correctly. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening.

If the parameters are instance then there are no incorrect combinations because each instance can be different.  The only time it shows the same as shown in the family when placed in a project is the 1st time you load the the family in.  If you want the visibility combination consistent when placing, use type parameters and assign each combination to a type.

Message 12 of 15
CS93X7Q

Then I would have to create one for each arrow direction.

Message 13 of 15
ToanDN

@CS93X7Q wrote:

Then I would have to create one for each arrow direction.

If you want to place it and never have to play with ticking boxes then yes, you would have to create one type for each condition.  For flexibility, keep them as you have and make sure to tick the correct boxes after placing them.  If you want to inherit an existing combination, simply select one and create similar, or copy, or copy paste.

The bottom line is there is nothing wrong with the way you build the family, or they way it behaves.

Message 14 of 15
barthbradley

@CS93X7Q wrote:

It is working correct for you. When I place that one, I get the arrows for the wall mounted sign, they are farther out.

Sounds like I'm blessed then, because every single instance I place adheres to the default settings in the Family. The only way I can get what you show is by changing the instance parameters after placing an instance.   

SignFamily3.png

Message 15 of 15
mosheQG3Y5

I think it's because you've loaded a previous version of the family into the project and then are overwriting it with a family (named the same) with additional parameters. I've had issues with this in the past where the model gets confused because the names of these things are the same (similar thing happens with imported materials). I would try changing the name of the family and then replacing them all with the new one if you want the checkboxes to be the same. Or building a quick Dynamo to take the old parameter settings and apply them to the new family. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report