Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit crashes when changing color temperature of a light source

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
bill_gilliss
1072 Views, 14 Replies

Revit crashes when changing color temperature of a light source

On two different computers running Revit 2017 and 2017.2, both Windows 10, which otherwise run fine, Revit crashes whenever I try to change the color temperature of a light source. This happens every time, whether I do this while editing a light fixture in a project, creating a family from scratch, or editing a family. Any ideas?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
alex
in reply to: bill_gilliss

I can replicate this on some of our PC's , tyrned off hardware acceleration then restarted revit and it works here now....BUIT... image still shows blue, and it does for the materials"Texture Alignment" preview as well

Message 3 of 15
bill_gilliss
in reply to: alex

Well... I regret to say that that did not fix the problem on either computer. I DO have the blue "Texture Alignment" preview you mention, both before and after disabling graphics acceleration.

workstation: nVidia K2000D graphics, most recent WHQL driver

laptop: ATI HD5870 Mobility Radeon graphics. USED to work okay.

Sigh...

The tedious workaround has been to find a light fixture with the color temperature I want, erase all its geometry, set the light source definition as needed, paste in the geometry of the desired fixture, and redo all the dimensional and material parameters as necessary.

Message 4 of 15

Having the same issue here. Wasn't an issue it seems until the latest Windows updates installed. This is causing me serious issues being that I'm trying to create interior renders at the moment. I have  to edit colors/contrast in Photoshop post render and it just isn't the same.

I'm praying for a hotfix for this ASAP!!

Message 5 of 15

I'm not sure where the problem is - could well be related to Windows updates. I can't do anything in post because my deliverable is cloud-rendered panoramas and matching stills -- too many and too complex to even think about. Using scavenged light source definitions is actually working pretty well: I don't need IES accuracy, just want all my lights closer to 5000K than 2800. Takes a bit of time upfront, but really solves the post-production problem. I can change everything except the color temperature of a scavenged light source, so do end up with fixtures that behave..

Message 6 of 15
Alex.Page.NZ
in reply to: alex

Turning off hardware acceleration only worked for my PC, not the others here

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Alex.Page.NZ

My Hardware acceleration was already turned off.  I tried turning it on and that didn't work either.  

Message 8 of 15
ToanDN

I have no problem changing it.  Now I have a preview image in the dialog window, and I see you only have a blue square.  That leads me to think that there is a file path/source, or missing data issue on your end.

Capture.PNG

Message 9 of 15
bill_gilliss
in reply to: ToanDN

I have just repaired the Revit installation, to no avail. I wouldn't even mind the blue square (I understand color temperature) if Revit did not crash as soon as I click either of the arrows on the color temperature drop box - don't even get a change to select a new temperature. This is a recent clean Revit installation, updated to 2017.2. Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Next step: full re-install?

Message 10 of 15
ToanDN

@BIll wrote:

I wouldn't even mind the blue square (I understand color temperature)

It's not about understanding it. It's about Revit not finding the reference image, which is because something was not installed properly, or it is reading a wrong folder path.  Unfortunately I don't know where Revit store these data so I cannot help.  I would do a full cleanup and reinstall from fresh.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

If you do a complete re-install make sure you follow the instructions in this link; How to Complete a Clean Install and Uninstall of Revit products

Message 12 of 15
bill_gilliss
in reply to: Anonymous

Got it. I have uninstalled, regedited, etc., per the instructions. After a complete reinstall, it worked!!!! Then, after updating to Revit 2017.2 to get Collaborate, it's broken again. 8-(

At least, I know where the problem lies to file a formal tech support request.

Message 13 of 15
bill_gilliss

The 2017.2 update is indeed what is making things not work here. I'd installed it in the first place because, you know... new! shiny!  Fortunately, by the time I'd finished reinstalling Revit 2017 and the SP1 and SP2 updates, Collaborate for Revit had popped back up on the menu bar (not sure at what point), so I have no need to deal with 2017.2.

Whew. That was kind of a huge deal: nearly all of my production work is done with Collaborate, and my rendering work HAS to have control over color temperature, so getting them both operational was imperative.

So, this issue is solved for me. For now.

Message 14 of 15
bill_gilliss

A further note: Uninstalling the 2017.2 update did not fix the problem. It took a complete removal and re-installation without 2017.2.

Message 15 of 15
bhaslow

I am having the same crashing issue when changing the light source color temperature. I did notice though that I can avoid the crash if I select "custom" from the pull down menu and enter in the value that I want. It's only when I choose a specific preset that I get the crash.

Luckily, we have an office policy of only updating one or two machines when any new version/update appears for Revit. That way we can test drive them for a month or so to see if anything breaks before rolling them out to everybody. Unfortunately, I am usually the office "canary," so I get to see all of the really weird Revit issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report