Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit actually *does* support OTF/PS fonts, just not in the drop-down selector?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
JADAstudio
2418 Views, 7 Replies

Revit actually *does* support OTF/PS fonts, just not in the drop-down selector?

Purely by accident I discovered today that Revit 2017 may actually support OTF/PS* fonts.

I have TTF and OTF/PS versions of the same typeface, CabinSketch, which can be freely downloaded via Google Fonts (TTF) and FontSquirrel (OTF/PS).

I originally had the TTF fonts installed and created a Revit text style with those fonts. Recently I had to re-install Windows and accidentally installed the OTF/PS fonts instead. Everything seems to work (i.e. display and print correctly) except the font selection drop-down.

You can test it out yourself. Download the sample RVT here, and install the OTF/PS fonts from the FontSquirrel link above.

Can someone with more knowledge than I comment on why Autodesk, it seems, has decided to block OTF/PS font usage at the drop-down selector when Revit appears to be able to render OTF/PS fonts correctly for screen and print?

*OTF/PS = OpenType Fonts with Postscript outlines.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
loboarch
in reply to: JADAstudio

I found a issue logged for providing more support for OTF fonts. I added the information you provided here to the issue. It looks like perhaps the new text editor added in 2017 added some support for OTF "behind the scenes" so we just maybe need to do some work to surface that in the UI. 

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 8
JADAstudio
in reply to: loboarch

Thanks, Jeff. Understood. We'll see soon enough if that made it into 2018.

Message 4 of 8
JADAstudio

It looks like 2018 does not have any improvements in this regard. OTF fonts still work if previously configured as TTF but do not appear in the Text Font properties field.

Message 5 of 8
loboarch

Yeah it is too bad it is not there. I knew it would not be there when this thread ended a week and a half ago, but could not say anything.  Smiley Sad

I can tell you it is an issue logged with the team who works on text and there has been some discussion/traffic on the issue. I can't tell you when it will be fixed but rest assured it is logged.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 8
JADAstudio

No worries. Thanks, Jeff.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks Jeff, this is a frustrating issue for many architectural practices' I have contacts with, my own included!

It's promising to see that the issue is being addressed.

Message 8 of 8
d.volo

I think the problem could be the same that happen with Autocad.

so maybe fonts with "PostScript Structure" do not work, take a look to the links for further information.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/OpenTy...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Suppor...

ACP Revit Architecture - CAD/BIM Coordinator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report