Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2022 Query - Copying an existing model with multiple design options into a new project file created from a different template

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
kathleenpratt
321 Views, 6 Replies

Revit 2022 Query - Copying an existing model with multiple design options into a new project file created from a different template

I would like to be able to copy an existing Revit 2022 model which contains multiple design options into a new Revit 2022 project, created from a new template, but cannot work out how to do this. I cannot simply do "save as" as the problem that I am trying to overcome relates to existing families loaded into the original model - when trying to load new additional families, these will not load because there appear to be conflicting shared parameters - this is the error message that I get:

The shared parameter "05c57bab-7370-44ed-a733-fae972e935d4" cannot be added with name "GlazingAreaFraction" and type "Number" because it conflicts with the existing name "FractionSurfaceVitree" and type "Text".

I have purged the existing model to try and get rid of the families that are causing the problem (which aren't actually used in the model) but this doesn't solve the issue, and I have therefore resorted to creating a new template file which does not include the specific problem families.

I have tried to copy and paste the model into a new project created from the updated template but it does not retain either the existing / proposed phasing nor any of the design options. I have also tried to link the original file to the new project and bind it, but again it does not retain any of the phasing or design options. 

Maybe this is just something which is not possible?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
vancikv
in reply to: kathleenpratt

AFAIK it's just not possible. I've done this once with a bunch of models and used Dynamo to store phase parameters as text and then renew them once the pasting was done. There were no options, so I won't comment on that.

Message 3 of 7
vancikv

FWIW I don't think it's necessary to do this, ever. You can always transfer project standards from the template and transfer whatever further data you need manually. The reason I did it before was that I didn't know the scope of relevant content within the new template and thought it could be a problem if I'd find out later that something was missing. In retrospect it was way more work than it was worth.

Message 4 of 7
kathleenpratt
in reply to: vancikv

Thanks for this. I have tried transferring project standards from my new template back into the project file, but unfortunately I think this problem relates to a roof window family that I originally installed and which, although I have subsequently deleted, seems to have left some traces in the original file that I can't get rid of (and they aren't covered in project standards). I've even purged and saved the model but seems to make no difference. If I could get the design option that the client is proceeding with out of the current model and into a new one then I would do that, but although I can copy and paste the data, I would then need to spend ages going around it again updating "existing" and "new". It may be that what I am trying to do is too tricky....

Message 5 of 7
vancikv

How many phases are there, then? If it's just existing and new, then you can copy the elements in a couple of batches with nothing else visible and renew the phase settings right after copying each batch. Not a lot of work imo. 

Message 6 of 7
kathleenpratt
in reply to: vancikv

OK, thanks, I will give this a go and see how I get on.....

Message 7 of 7
ToanDN

@kathleenpratt wrote:

Thanks for this. I have tried transferring project standards from my new template back into the project file, but unfortunately I think this problem relates to a roof window family that I originally installed and which, although I have subsequently deleted, seems to have left some traces in the original file that I can't get rid of (and they aren't covered in project standards). I've even purged and saved the model but seems to make no difference. If I could get the design option that the client is proceeding with out of the current model and into a new one then I would do that, but although I can copy and paste the data, I would then need to spend ages going around it again updating "existing" and "new". It may be that what I am trying to do is too tricky....

What traces?  

Toan Nguyen
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators