Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2020 bug or feature? New instance of Revit every time I open a file

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
ldonkle
4927 Views, 28 Replies

Revit 2020 bug or feature? New instance of Revit every time I open a file

After Upgrading to Revit 2020, when I double-click a Revit file (in Windows), it always opens a new instance of Revit 2020.

When I did this in previous versions (Revit 2014-2019), it would always opens the file within the same instance of Revit.

Is this a feature of 2020, or a bug that can be fixed?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
ldonkle
in reply to: Anonymous

I'd be very interested to learn how

Message 22 of 29
ahjorn
in reply to: ldonkle

That's a very peculiar behaviour. To be honest I didn't even know this was possible until I tried it.

I've never worked with a shared model so I usually double click a file to open. I work with several versions so before I open a file, the version that I need is already launched and the file correctly opens in the launched version with a double click. I do the same with AutoCAD.

Message 23 of 29
s.borello

Double clicking is not the recommended way of opening a RVT model. 

Message 24 of 29
taituai
in reply to: barthbradley

I agree here. The original question was not "how should I open files" it was "is there a way to fix the problem".

I have the same problem at the moment and it happened after I installed 2021 and then uninstalled it once I determined there were too many bugs. Now my 2019 version behaves this way and its annoying because it should behave like any other program when opening from Windows Explorer.

Message 25 of 29
RobDraw
in reply to: taituai

There are other reasons why one should be opening files from the program. It's more than a recommendation. 

Look into Windows settings for setting default programs for opening files using Windiws folders.

Good luck.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 26 of 29
ldonkle
in reply to: RobDraw

I'm using the most current version of Revit 2021 now and the issue appears to have been (quietly) fixed.

Message 27 of 29
taituai

I don't think you could class this as a solution

Message 28 of 29
RobDraw
in reply to: taituai

Why not? The installation set the default program for Windows to open the file with. The other solutions mentioned might be more direct but the OP has the choice of marking the solution that worked for them.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.
Message 29 of 29
kathryn

I don't know why this is marked as "solved" none of these are solutions? No one is even offering any new information

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report