Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit 2014 error: property and project browser window

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
supitcha.tree
17405 Views, 28 Replies

Revit 2014 error: property and project browser window

My Revit won't let me click on the property window and the project browser window.

When I click on the property window or the project browser window, there is an error sound played from the computer but no error message, and nothing happened. I can't change any property settigns, nor switch to another view.

I have installed and been using Revit 2014 for about 4 months. The same thing happened 1 month ago. But after I install the Revit update release 2, things went back to normal. But this time Revit won't let me install the update release anymore (since it has already been updated)

Does anyone knows how to fix this error, and prevent it from occuring again and again like this.

I'm using Macbook Pro. I run my Revit in Bootcamp Windows7 64-bit. 

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

What are you doing immediately before you are unable to select the Property or Project Browser palettes?  Is it on first open, or are you able to excecute some commands first?  Could there be a dialog box waiting for your input that is hidden behind other windows or located on another monitor (or located off screen)?

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 3 of 29

The exact same thing is happening to me right now. I had selected a few detail lines to move then both of my screens blacked out and when they came back on (in just a couple of seconds) I got an error report. I filled it out and sent it to AutoDesk. So then, I restart my computer and when I open Revit 2014 it will not let me select anything in the properties or project browser box. It just makes a "ding" -> an error noise. There isn't another window waiting for me to click something or anything like that, it lets me move in and out of the start up screen and it lets me hit file and see the drop down menu. But it will not let me select a view to work in. How can this be fixed??? Man Sad

Message 4 of 29
Natasha00123
in reply to: Natasha00123

Okay, for whatever reason, when I did a save as (it was a stand alone file, not work sharing yet) and saved it to my desktop, it let me click into the views without any problem. So weird. Glitch?

Anyway, back to work. Smiley Happy

- Natasha

Message 5 of 29
cbcarch
in reply to: supitcha.tree

I suspect this could be caused by your video card/graphics display driver. Revit is very particular about this--try turning hardware acelleration on/off,

update your graphics card's video driver ( from the manufacturer's website ).

Good luck.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 6 of 29
Natasha00123
in reply to: cbcarch

I will let our IT guy know, maybe he can work some magic in that regard. 🙂

Thanks for the reply!

Message 7 of 29
shiserodt
in reply to: Natasha00123

Save as worked for me too, with a stand alone file.

Message 8 of 29
Abdelmawlas
in reply to: shiserodt

"Save as" worked for me too!!

Very strange. I cannot see any relationship between "Save as" and the user interface!!

Thanks

Message 9 of 29
craigjonnson
in reply to: Abdelmawlas

I've just experienced this same issue. The project browser and properties would not allow me to select anything. Again i had the same issue, of hearing a windows ding. Nothing else was selected, no other windows were open. Even after a restart, the problem continued. I cannot save the central file, but instead edited the Title that we have in our start up view. Resaving this then allowed me to continue working.

Message 10 of 29
casquatch
in reply to: craigjonnson

We have seen this as well, we are running Revit on a private Cloud setup with Citrix and an Nvidia Grid card. The fix we found that worked well was to click the Help ? at the top right of the Revit window. We don't have the help files installed, so we get the dialog telling us that, after closing that dialog all is functional again.

Strange fix for a strange issue, but it works!

Just thought I would add to the possible solutions.

Thanks,
Casey

Message 11 of 29
sroberson
in reply to: casquatch

Wow. We had this just happen to our computers and we saved the file to our desktop and now we have access to the menus. 

We tried restarting the computers nothing.

Updating the graphics card nothing.

Did a save as and its working now.....

Message 12 of 29
tschalnat

Yep save as worked for me too

Message 13 of 29
baker
in reply to: sroberson

We found an alternate fix - I think it was a corrupt local file. Open up the central model and overwrite your local from there. It worked for me.

Message 14 of 29
Martintj
in reply to: supitcha.tree

I was going to try to save a local copy but tried saving over the existing so it couldn't save, then after that the browser menus worked again. This would seem to be the simplest work around as you don't even have to resave the current copy.

Message 15 of 29

I work as the Revit Practice Coordinator for a large arch practice in London, UK. We had a similar issue for a few machines, and we discovered that a simple solution of just saving all work (local and/or worksharing) and then restarting the PC from scratch solved most of the aforementioned problems. We have also noticed that making sure that the graphics card drivers are up-to-date really helps with this and other Revit issues too (not sure why!). Also, should the graphics card be struggling, make sure you switch off the hardware acceleration for regular Revit use.....it stops that annoying "debris" trail, right? 😉 Hope all this helps! SCB

Shaun Bryant
EESignature

AutoCAD and Revit ACI and occasional Tinkercad user
Not Just CAD! - The Official Blog of CADFMconsultants
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 16 of 29
JoshNCS
in reply to: shiserodt

Weird. Saveas worked for me too in Revit 2015

Message 17 of 29
ana
Community Visitor
in reply to: JoshNCS

We found out a better solution than workaround of "save as", what cause the issue is the UIstate.dat file which somehow get corrupted... Close revit... delete the file... (we first move it to desktop for safety reasons) restart revit and it creates a new one... and Voala!!!

Message 18 of 29
rvcaranto

try this:

click the BIG R, open NEW PROJECT

then see if the project/system window is clickable... if yes , OPEN the project you want to edit using the BIG R.

this procedure works with me.

Good luck.

Message 19 of 29

Same solution for me in Revit LT 2016 sp 1 & 2. The main window was accessible but, suddenly and mysteriously, not the browser or properties windows. Using Natasha's suggestion, I Saved As a new name and back to work.
Message 20 of 29
andreia.mpcunha

Save as worked for me too.

Many thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report