Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ref planes

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
yes_and_no
283 Views, 3 Replies

Ref planes

Guys, I have this painting hosted inside a sofa family. The sofa is centered by a center reference plane. I place a dimensional parameter from that center to the center of the painting to adjust the painting placement in horizontal direction. With that I can only "move" the painting in one direction from the sofa, for example to the left only, bec you can't have a negative dimension, to move it to the right. I can't flip control it bec being an authentic painting you can't flip it.

hnA__20220415_185936.jpg

Someone must solved this before. I just don't know how. Anyone ?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
L.Maas
in reply to: yes_and_no

One way to do it is something like this

LMaas_0-1650091868360.png

So an offset from the left or right. If needed you can use formulas to calculate the horizontal postition you want.
If you would like to be able to have the picture further to the left you could create a reference plane further to the left and use that to create the positive offset. lock, dimension an parameterize things as needed

Other possibility

Here using an offset to the left and right. Use a formula so that both offsets are such that they end up creating the proper width of the painting.

LMaas_1-1650092328304.png

Other options could be to have two pictures, one on the left, other on the right (each with an offset to the center). Then use visbility parameter to hide one of them.

So plenty of options (these are not the only ones). You have to get a little creative and find the one that works best in a particular family.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 4
Corsten.Au

Hi..

You may create two painting ( two copies ) controlled by

1. Left visibility

2. Right visibility

3. Instance Dimension parameter for placement.

4. may be another dimension for vertical movement.

Cheers.

Corsten
Building Designer
Message 4 of 4
mhiserZFHXS

There is a way to do it with no hidden elements, but it requires a couple of additional parameters with equations tied to them and two additional reference planes.

Parameters:

Input Offset: This is where you input your offset from center, negative to the left, positive to the right (or vice versa if you want.

Control Parameter 1: if(Input Offset <0, Input Offset * -1, Input Offset)

Control Parameter 2: if(Input Offset <0, Input Offset * -2, 0)

Place  a reference plane on each side of the center line. Dimension from the center line to the right RP and label it Control Parameter 1 (or whatever you name it). Dimension from the left RP to the right RP and label is Control parameter 2. Note: Your input parameter is NOT tied to anything in the model. It only controls the two other parameters.

Negative Offset.PNG

Lock the center point of your painting to the LEFT reference plane. If you input a positive offset, the left reference plane will be on top of the right reference plane. If you input a negative offset, the formulas convert it to a positive number, and doubles it so the left reference plane (and your paintings center line) move your input distance to the left.

A little more work to set up, but it allows for more intuitive inputs of positive to the right, negative to the left. This will work for any situation where you need to offset something using positive or negative inputs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators