Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile drop down parameter

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
692 Views, 6 Replies

Profile drop down parameter

Hi, 

I'm creating a door frame within the door family (rather than nested) and i'm trying to create a parameter which lets me switch the profiles used, is this possible? I thought i had previously done it, I can get the option as a parameter but it doesn't "link" them together so it doesn't actually change the profile of the frame. Any suggestions? 

Thanks, 

Josh 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Ilic.Andrej
in reply to: Anonymous

There is no reason to avoid nesting. Nest the geometry and then use family/type parameter.

Andrej Ilić

phonetical: ændreɪ ilich
MSc Arch

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Ilic.Andrej

Hi @Ilic.Andrej 

The reason i didn't want to do the frame as a nested family is if i put the frame family under the "door" family category, I also have the nested door under "door" family category which means both will appear in the drop down menu for the door selection parameter i have set up.   

If i then make the frame family a "generic" family category, when i load it into the project it shows the top of the frame in plan view rather than cropping it through the view line (as you can see in the image attached) and I have got "When cut in plan/RCP (if category permits)" turned on in the family, although it's greyed out.

I am also going to be making a threshold which are changeable but has different profiles to the frame, so i also need to separate these so they don't show in each others drop down menus. 

Thanks

Josh

because i'm also 

Message 4 of 7
Ilic.Andrej

Then, wouldn't be simpler to create different door families in correspondence to each of the frame profiles? (no nesting)

Andrej Ilić

phonetical: ændreɪ ilich
MSc Arch

Autodesk Expert Elite Alumni

Message 5 of 7
barthbradley

If you don not want to nest, then don't use the Family Types Parameter. Instead, model both components in the Family and make only one visible at a time.  

Create 2 Yes/No Parameters. Associate them to the "Visibility" Parameter in each  Frame's Properties. Turn of the one you do not want to show. You can do this manually or automatically via a simple formula.

Not.png

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: barthbradley

@barthbradley 

Yeah that's how i made it set up to begin with but felt the drop down boxes looked the neatest and operated the nicest for the user. It's a shame the family type parameter cant go down to sub category level, or Revit needs a radio button 

Message 7 of 7
barthbradley

@Anonymous wrote:

@barthbradley 

Yeah that's how i made it set up to begin with but felt the drop down boxes looked the neatest and operated the nicest for the user. It's a shame the family type parameter cant go down to sub category level, or Revit needs a radio button 

I don't understand why that would matter. Can you elaborate? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report