Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with void extrusion.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mrheuseler
1030 Views, 11 Replies

Problems with void extrusion.

Hello,

I'm about to make af balkony-front. An extrusion of 1100 mm. x 3000 mm. 2 mm. thickness.

In that extrusion, i need to have some perforations. 9x9 mm. squares. (holes). 

I'm using Void extrusion for that. 

The problem is, that Revit freeze constantly. We are talking about 7-8000 perforations. And that might cause the problem. (Problem in picture!)

Any way - how would you do it? 

Thank you.

Kind regards

Morten

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: mrheuseler

Too many tiny voids will cause just that. Use a material with a cutout map and a surface pattern. Revit already has a few perforated metal materials in its stock appearance asset library.

ToanDN_0-1600467803229.png

Message 3 of 12
barthbradley

8000 1100mmx3000mm perforations???   Is this a misprint?  

Message 4 of 12
syman2000

Ouch...normally tiny void is counted as individual objects. It will slow down Revit. Best way is to use texture map and do cutout texture map to achieve the same look. If you want the model look, I use Curtainwall with preset mullion spacing. However it gets really heavy and not practical. See attached for sample.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 5 of 12
barthbradley

oops. my bad. 8000 9x9 mm perforations. So, a total area of 648000 mm. Not 3300000.

Out of curiosity, what's the spacing?  

For whatever it is worth, you may want to turn OFF Thin Lines and consider Line Weights and View Scale.

Line Weights A.png

Message 6 of 12
bin
Advisor

Other than the material with cutout, you can also try to model it without void.

bin_0-1600494206901.png

You don't have to model the whole panel, maybe do it as 550mm x 500mm panel, then place them together.

Message 7 of 12
martijn_pater
in reply to: bin

Drawn in the extrusion sketch @bin means I suppose (havent looked, but just edit the file to see).

Message 8 of 12
bin
Advisor
in reply to: martijn_pater

@martijn_pater Yes, either single solid with multiple opending in sketch or multiple solids. They all work on my crap computer. I am not going to try the void method, it will definitely kill it.  The single solid one is properly faster but the multiple solid method is easier to adjust or made parametric.

Message 9 of 12
Secttor
in reply to: syman2000

watch out with coutout map.. cause you must delivered the texture together with the project/model otherwise won't be visible. so it's not embedded in the rfa.

Revit MEP - Electrical Certified Professional
Revit MEP - Mechanical Certified Professional

Draftworks.wordpress.com
Message 10 of 12
mrheuseler
in reply to: ToanDN

That is a great idea. Actually, I had that in my mind. But i thought, that voids would be the "easy way" - but no. 

Thank you.

Message 11 of 12
mrheuseler
in reply to: bin

I have thougt of that way too. 

Might be the way to split the panel. Thank you!

Message 12 of 12
mrheuseler
in reply to: Secttor

Actually, the company just want the renderings. Not the entire file. Otherwise, you have absolutely right. 

The texture have to follow!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report