Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing filled regions in families

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
p_barnett
520 Views, 4 Replies

Printing filled regions in families

Hi,

I've created an escape sign family and inserted a detail family of the sign graphic using filled regions. We've placed this family in Revit 2018 and 2020 models. They view correctly on screen.

Keeping the scale at 1:100, at full sheet they print as empty rectangles. If I zoom in on screen and print 'visible portion' there is a point at which the preview shows the contents of the families.

If I select all of the signs and isolate them (everything else turned off) they will print at full sheet.

If I turn Raster printing on, that solves it. But it appears to be they get turned off at an unknown amount of complexity in the drawing.

Seems to be an ad-hoc solution. I'd like to know if anyone knows the true cause (lack of RAM?) or are we waiting for Autodesk to solve?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
barthbradley
in reply to: p_barnett

@p_barnett wrote:

I'd like to know if anyone knows the true cause (lack of RAM?) or are we waiting for Autodesk to solve?

Solve what? 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2019/EN...

Message 3 of 5
Redrunner92
in reply to: p_barnett

I'm no authority on this topic, but just from experience I've noticed this pattern throughout Revit views, whether printed or viewed on-screen. It seems like a view, when printed, does the same as it does when zooming in and out on-screen: at some unnamed zoom-out level, it increasingly simplifies the patterns until ultimately not showing them at all. And the raster printing makes sense with this since, as far as I know, it sees such filled regions as "colors" rather than how vector printing sees them as a pattern made up of multiple lines.

@p_barnett wrote:

If I select all of the signs and isolate them (everything else turned off) they will print at full sheet.

What do you mean by "at full sheet"? Does the printed view zoom in on these items, or do they stay at the same scale yet print fully on Vector printing? Or do you mean something else?

Message 4 of 5
p_barnett
in reply to: barthbradley

Inconsistency.

Print the drawing out and finding that it didn't print this time, but it worked fine on a different drawing. Having to change settings and do it again. There is an unknown point at which it stops working and you have to change settings.

It can detect raster images (shaded views &c.) and inform you that 's going to swap. It would be good if it could detect that it couldn't cope and inform you that it needs to swap.

Message 5 of 5
p_barnett
in reply to: Redrunner92

Hi, in all the tests I did, I kept the scale at 1:100, but by zooming in and out and printing 'visible portion', I was changing the amount of content to be printed, not the detail/ quality it was printing. By full sheet, I meant the 'Current View' option.

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators