Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print Setup not working

26 REPLIES 26
SOLVED
Message 1 of 27
AdamHamilton
26527 Views, 26 Replies

Print Setup not working

I am able to open Print dialogue but the Setup button does nothing. Doesn't matter which Printer i choose. the same printers are able to be printed from other applications. It is not file specific.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
dzanta
in reply to: AdamHamilton

have you tried a repair or reinstall of Revit?

Dzan Ta, AEE, ASM, ACI.

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Community | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | LinkedIn

Win 11 Pro/DELL XPS 15 9510/i9 3.2GHz/32GB RAM/Nvidia RTX 3050Ti/1TB PCIe SSD/4K 15.4" Non-Touch Display

Message 3 of 27
wispoxy

If you're using 2016 versions, please make sure your printer drivers are up to date.
Message 4 of 27
AdamHamilton

funny how many AE's pop in here...im a former AE. I am currently doing a reinstall but also found that the issue extended to Revit 2014 as well.

Message 5 of 27
wispoxy

AE's ? We're not all Autodesk Employees.
Message 6 of 27
AdamHamilton
in reply to: wispoxy

Application Engineers. Autodesks designation for Reseller technical support.

Message 7 of 27
wispoxy

Did you get your problem resolved?

Message 8 of 27
pescisd

I had this happen a few of people in my office. Our outsource IT company keeps uninstalling and reinstalling the printers; however, the problem comes back. They use the print button on the "Revit" icon. I really think that the code behide this button is the issue. If you simply use the keyboard short cut of "Ctrl P" everything works inside the dialog box.

Message 9 of 27
ssmetz
in reply to: pescisd

This is happening to me in Revit LT 2016 on windows 10.  I've installed service packs, and changed default printer settings.  I'm still not able to select sheets to print, change settings, or preview. It doesn't matter whether I use the key command or the print button from the R menu. 

Anyone have another solution?

Message 10 of 27
pescisd
in reply to: ssmetz

I have had fellow employees experiencing the same problem. I had them use CTRL P to bring up the print dialog box. Once they do that the setup button is active.
Hopefully they have this fixed in 2017.
Message 11 of 27
Emilbachfrandsen
in reply to: pescisd

I had the same problem. i'm using windows 10 and had my standard printer set to "microsoft print to pdf"

I removed "microsoft print to pdf" and set my own printer to standard printer and that solved the issue.

Message 12 of 27
BIMologist_

In my research I found that you are not alone. It seems like the Microsoft Print to PDF is an issue. I am posting this as I recently saw this issue in Windows 10 Pro 14393 build as well

I was able to REPLICATE the EXACT issue from Revit 2015 to Revit 2017.1 (latest)

After reading this thread and this very old thread from 2011 and recently updated with same issue (http://autode.sk/2dPgtmj)

I could not get it to work wether I used AccelKey or Button. either way it was stuck.

0. Quit Revit (if you feel like it 🙂

1. Set your Default Printer to something OTHER than Microsoft Print to PDF. On the Start Menu type Devices and Printers and Right click on any other printer to be the Default.
3. Launch Revit and Print-You can Select MS Print to PDF as the printer and print.

4. However if you USE MS PDF and get to print, the next time you go to Print AGAIN in the SAME session, Guess what? It gets STUCK again. So the issue revolves around the MS Print to PDF / Revit.

5. Select another printer from drop down, Click OK to print, then Go back, select and Print again MS PDF, repeat step 4 & 5 as a loop. .

I will report this as a BUG to the Dev Team. @john.vellek can you please log this in. or at least test this further.

Thanks

in the mean time, As others  recommend that you download either PDF Creator or CUTEPDF as an alternate. They are excellent programs and are free. When you do install either, make sure to be extra cautious , not to install TOOLBars, or other addons they try to push.
If you are using PDF Creator, It is best to install it as a Server version.

I will see if there are any work arounds beside the NOT USING Microsoft Print to PDF.

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

EESignature

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 13 of 27
3ddraft
in reply to: BIMologist_

I just wanted to chime in on this. I'm running Autodesk Revit 2016 on Windows 10. Removing Microsoft Print to PDF as the default printer was the trick. Something else I changed was letting Windows manage my default printer. I have another program that works fine with the Microsoft printer and I use it because there is a slight time saving over CutePDF. If you're running into this issue, be sure to uncheck "allow Windows to set the default printer".

Message 14 of 27
craigjonnson

No need to restart Revit, just change the printer from Microsoft PDF to something else, hit OK. Cancel the next screen and start again. This time everything works. 

Thanks to the original revolvement post, this had the better of me.

Craig

Message 15 of 27
krzystoff

We still have this same confounding issue, across all versions of Revit 2015-2017, and with different computers, no matter if the Windows 10 Microsoft PDF printer is installed;  all latest Windows/Autodesk/OEM printer updates installed — ie. buttons for Sheets/Preview/Setup are all unselectable.  

The problem only appears to be with Revit, no other software has this issue, as far as I can tell from online forums.

The only workaround appears to be using the Revit Menu>Print>Print Setup to get to the setup dialog, but the sheet list cannot be selected at all,
(we must close Revit, change default Windows printer to Adobe/PDF Creator printer, and restart Revit, to get to the sheet list again).

Message 16 of 27
nmysorewala

wrong account

BIMologist
Message 17 of 27
BIMologist_

For 2018.1.1 this has been resolved. Please install 2018.2 update to fix it in 2018 releases. 

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

I did not see a fix for 2017. 

BIMologist / Dr. Revit
Approved Autodesk Services Marketplace provider - BIM Consulting

EESignature

If you find this reply helpful, please use the Accept Solution or Like button below
Message 18 of 27
gmarotis

Hello!

I discovered the same problem on Revit 2014 when I bought HP Officejet Pro 7740. I just wanted a good A3 printer but I simply cannot print from Revit 2014 - Windows 10 desktop. I have just one chance to click on the setup button and after that buttons like setup or print preview do not respond. If I click on print the I get the Printing error message from windows. Even if I delete the file manually from the spooler nothing else can print on the HP 7740. I have to restart everything.

I know that 2014 is old version but is there any chance to walk around that problem? Any options to try? The only way to print on A3 format is to print to PDF and than to A3 but the quality is not quite the same - lower dpi perhaps?Thanks 

Message 19 of 27
krzystoff
in reply to: gmarotis

This problem still crops up in my office occasionally, with versions of Revit 2017 or earlier.  

You should try the following:

* Go to Windows 'Printers & Scanners' dialog, uncheck the box next to 'Allow Windows to manage my default printer'

If that fails:

* In File Manager paste this "Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers"

* Right-click on 'Microsoft Print to PDF', select 'Remove device', click 'Yes'.

Hopefully that works for you.  Otherwise ... this could be a great argument to update your files / software to a current release!

Message 20 of 27
pescisd
in reply to: gmarotis

We don't have this problem as much when we started using R2019; however, I had my group use p.

Also, set your default printer to something else other than your PDF writer.

Scott

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report