Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phasing - premature override of regions of a floor instance demolished by an in-place void

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
vancikv
2089 Views, 11 Replies

Phasing - premature override of regions of a floor instance demolished by an in-place void

I create a basic floor instance in phase 0 and cut a hole into it with an in-place void in phase 1. Unfortunately the section in phase 0 does not look like a floor with no holes. Instead, the region that will be demolished in the next phase is already mysteriously overridden.

Severity of the override depends on whether the void penetrates the whole floor thickness (opening) or not (recess). The recess seemingly gets a different material, because the hatch pattern is overridden and boundary is shown. For the opening, the line weight of the hatch pattern is changed, but otherwise it's fine.

I can get it to display correctly by changing the coarse scale fill pattern to be the same as the floor material and setting detail level to coarse, but that is just a workaround and it creates other problems.

I attach a sample file that replicates the issue and a pdf to illustrate.

Can anyone come up with a solution or at least an explanation?

Labels (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
martijn_pater
in reply to: vancikv

Set the phase filter to a filter without the demolition override (see override settings). Reviewing answer, interesting query the infill behavior seems different from rvt 2020.

Message 3 of 12
martijn_pater

Seems like a bug, it should be the same as manually drawing the infill floor and joining those but it's not. The change in lineweight is just strange (as well as not being able to set the lineweight for cut patterns tbh), but it should be the same default (1) then...

edit: the default used for that lineweight is a different pen (pen 2 in my rvt2020 file, pen 3 in your rvt2021 file...), you could set it to the same as pen 1 to fix the cut pattern lineweight issue. Which would mean you'd have to move the remaining lineweight settings up (pen 3  to pen 4, etc..) globally throughout your entire template/object styles etc... Not entirely sure what effects that would have down the line...

The behavior for the recess is as expected for revit 2020 using the cut pattern and joining, whereas in revit 2021 as you've shown, is not.

Message 4 of 12
vancikv
in reply to: martijn_pater

Thanks a lot for looking at it, I also think it's a bug. I'll open a support case and we'll see what they tell me.

Message 5 of 12
barthbradley

Set Phase Filter to Show Complete.   

Message 6 of 12
vancikv
in reply to: barthbradley

That doesn't change anything. Why did you think it would?

Message 7 of 12
barthbradley

@vancikv wrote:

That doesn't change anything. Why did you think it would?

Ha! I have no idea what happened. My post was in reply to another thread topic.  I have no clue how it ended up here.  

By the way, I contacted Support about your issue back in 2012 I believe.  I seem to recall that there was a workaround found, but that is was more work than it was worth.  In any case, good luck.  Let us know what they say in 2021.  

Following....

Message 8 of 12
barthbradley

...I'll tell you what I would do: make the Existing Phase two solid elements, one embedded into the other and then joined together. The embedded Element being the size and  shape of your Future Phase "Void" Element.  Then is a Future Phase, demo the embedded element to remove it's volume.  

Message 9 of 12
vancikv
in reply to: martijn_pater

Turns out that the line weight is controlled by the object style setting for projection lines of the basic floor category. Weird, huh?

Message 10 of 12
vancikv

I managed to get Autodesk to acknowledge the issue, they have expressed the intent to fix it in a hotfix of Revit 2022. Two separate issues have been created for the Cut Pattern and the Lineweight.

Message 11 of 12
barthbradley

Thanks for the update.  2022?  Yah, right! Don't hold your breath.  

Message 12 of 12
vancikv

I'm pleased to report that the issue with the cut pattern has been resolved in 2022.1 (back in September 2021). The lineweight issue persists, though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report