Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric column chamfer

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
DKIVIG
1037 Views, 25 Replies

Parametric column chamfer

Hi,

I am attempting to create a column family with side edge chamfers. I NEED the chamfer to be able to be set to 0. Normally this will not allow an extrusion to exist (giving the error of a line being too short - both with extrusion profile and voids), which is expected.

Revit has a default rectangular column family (I am attaching a copy of it) with chamfers that CAN be set to 0 without complaining. I have been using this family as a starting point, but cannot modify its extrusion profile reliably. The chamfer sketch lines seem to be somehow special - cannot be deleted or copied.

DKIVIG_0-1703083563183.png

DKIVIG_1-1703083576166.png

DKIVIG_2-1703083627952.png

Does anyone know how these sketch lines are made? I am trying to achieve something like this (while being able to set the chamfer to 0:

DKIVIG_3-1703083955146.png

Even if it is impossible, I would appreciate some explanation over those magical sketch lines that can be 0. I can't wrap my head around those.

Labels (6)
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
barthbradley
in reply to: DKIVIG

Edit Extrusion and Align and Lock the TIPS of the angled line to both an x and y Ref. Plane.  

xy align.png

Message 3 of 26
barthbradley

see attached

Message 4 of 26
DKIVIG
in reply to: barthbradley

Struggling a bit to make it work with the alignment. It keeps complaining when changing the value to 0. Any chance you can provide the modified family in Revit 2023 instead of 24? Thanks.

Message 5 of 26
syman2000

Use Void instead of sketch to get your chamfer to set as 0. See attached family for example.

Check out my Revit youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/scourdx
Message 6 of 26
DKIVIG
in reply to: syman2000

There is something I didn't quite understand in this setup. Setting Chamfer to 0 puts a 10 mm chamfer on the geometry and if I put any other value in Chamfer, it offsets the void, removing the chamfer.

But I think I understand what you are trying to do. We've tried this before, but as far as I recall, there were some complications with voids. What I don't like about offsetting them out when the chamfer has to be 0 is that it creates a larger bounding box for the geometry which might not be ideal in certain situations.

I am also very curious if I can make it work with those "special" <Sketch> Lines, that can go down to 0.

Message 7 of 26
barthbradley

@DKIVIG wrote:

Struggling a bit to make it work with the alignment. It keeps complaining when changing the value to 0. Any chance you can provide the modified family in Revit 2023 instead of 24? Thanks.

Message 8 of 26
DKIVIG

The family works the same as the original. It still uses the "unique" angled sketch lines, but it does not allow me to create new ones (or copy the old ones), so I can have more chamfered edges. I have tried aligning and locking the new ones too.

DKIVIG_0-1703087023609.png 

DKIVIG_1-1703087415739.png

DKIVIG_2-1703087479798.png

DKIVIG_3-1703087513452.png

Message 9 of 26
syman2000

Revit does weird things if you set the value to 0. You can add angle to those chamfer. Even that will bring it's own complexity. Make sure you lock one of the angle line to the reference plane. That's why I give you the void example, or create separate family that doesn't have chamfer.

Message 10 of 26
DKIVIG

How is the original family with chamfers working? It is not using angles and it allows 0.

Message 11 of 26
syman2000

It is because the original family cannot delete the object even if you set it to 0. Press delete button will not remove the dimension, reference plane or the object. So I have to force it to delete the object itself to get it work. However if you really want the family to work in sketch mode even if the chamfer value is set to 0, then you need to add a parameter and reference plane. If the chamfer is set to 0, the X will give it breathing room to flex. See attached.

Message 12 of 26
barthbradley

You can easily build a parametric column family with that shape from a Column RFT. Are you wondering how to do this, or are you more interested in figuring out how those angled lines are hard-wired?  

Message 13 of 26
ToanDN

Use a void at each corner and an instance parameter to move it in and out
to create different chamfer size or no chamfer at all.
Message 14 of 26
DKIVIG

Both to an extent. I can definitely create the family from scratch with a few parameters to get the shape and chamfer on, and just live with the fact that the chamfer cannot be 0, or the standard solution of adding voids that can be moved in and out by an offset parameter, and live with the fact that the bounding box of the component is changing.

But mostly, I'd like to know how and why the original family is working and if it is possible to replicate this behaviour and how.

The geometry is simple and doable, but can I do it without workarounds?

Message 15 of 26
Mike.FORM

Here is the family fixed that keeps the void in the same spot and just uncuts geometry when you specify a chamfer < 1.

MikeFORM_1-1703089586466.png

Message 16 of 26
DKIVIG
in reply to: Mike.FORM

This is getting closer to a workaround solution that might work. I am only getting an error when setting the Chamfer parameter to 0, though, and cannot find which constraint is causing it. nvm, it was an arbitrary linear dimension that I deleted. Haven't gotten any issues by doing so yet.

DKIVIG_0-1703090036297.png

Any idea?

Also, do you know if the outcome as achievable with the hard-coded sketch lines from the original family instead of voids?

Message 17 of 26
syman2000

If you load in the OOTB chamfer column and set it to 0, it will work.

syman2000_0-1703090116012.png

This is how they set up

syman2000_1-1703090195950.png

syman2000_2-1703090225323.png

Message 18 of 26
barthbradley

a formula will keep it from breaking at zero.

C3-12.png

C4-12.png

Message 19 of 26
DKIVIG

This is exactly the family I am using as a base line. But I cannot replicate the behaviour of these sketch lines if I try to create more corners or make a column from scratch. They seem to be, as suggested earlier, hard-wired, and I wonder how and why.

Message 20 of 26
syman2000

@DKIVIG wrote:

This is exactly the family I am using as a base line. But I cannot replicate the behaviour of these sketch lines if I try to create more corners or make a column from scratch. They seem to be, as suggested earlier, hard-wired, and I wonder how and why.

I am as stump as you. It seems Autodesk love to keep these secret from us and make us get frustrated with the workaround. That is merry christmas from Autodesk..lol.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report