Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overhead lines for families

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Marcus.Isacsson
2174 Views, 12 Replies

Overhead lines for families

Hi fellas!

Whats your best method for creating overhead lines in plans for families that are above the cut?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Message 3 of 13
ToanDN
in reply to: Marcus.Isacsson

What category are the families?
Message 4 of 13
Marcus.Isacsson
in reply to: ToanDN

@ToanDN wrote:
What category are the families?

It's a vent grille in this case. I think it's made as a generic model.

Message 5 of 13

..ah, families.  Why not do the overhead lines as detail items/symbolic line work?  

Message 6 of 13

@barthbradley wrote:

..ah, families.  Why not do the overhead lines as detail items/symbolic line work?  

They won't show in the plans if they're above the cut plane. There's a workaround though, placing an invisible line downwards from the family (making the family being cut and thus showing the symbolic lines). 
Is the workaround the 'best' way to go?

Message 7 of 13
ToanDN

@Marcus.Isacsson wrote:

@barthbradley wrote:

They won't show in the plans if they're above the cut plane. There's a workaround though, placing an invisible line downwards from the family (making the family being cut and thus showing the symbolic lines). 
Is the workaround the 'best' way to go?

It is a common workaround.  Do you want to show them as overhead lines on floor plans and as normal lines on ceiling plans?

Message 8 of 13

@Marcus.Isacsson wrote:

They won't show in the plans if they're above the cut plane.

I'm not following you. I said Detail/Symbolic linework, not Model linework.  

Message 9 of 13

@barthbradley wrote:

@Marcus.Isacsson wrote:

They won't show in the plans if they're above the cut plane.

I'm not following you. I said Detail/Symbolic linework, not Model linework.  

We want to show where they are with overhead lines. Do you mean using an underlay then manually lineworking all the contours? This can take quite some time.

I guess that the workaround with an invisible line could be a better way?
http://revitrocks.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-old-revit-invisible-line-trick.html 

Message 10 of 13

I'm referring to linework in the family -- not the project, which I initially was referring to when I mentioned the Linework Tool.   I'm suggesting placing detail/symbolic lines directly in the family.  

The Model Line Trick is a great way to make geometry above the cut plane visible, but I thought you were more interested in representational line work.  

Message 11 of 13

@barthbradley but those symbolic lines won't show without using the "invisible line trick"? Or am I doing something wrong? Can you post a pic or video?

Message 12 of 13
ToanDN

See another workaround.  This takes advantages of a Generic family as a shared/nested family.

Capture.PNG

Message 13 of 13

Symbolic line work is always placed at the "Detail Plane" of the view (e.g. the plane that is closest to you as you look at the view). 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report